High levels of CO detected at Kroger store in Canton

DTE Energy says dangerous gas was coming from leak in heating, cooling unit

CANTON TWP., Mich. – A Kroger store in Canton is back open after being cleared out early Wednesday morning because high levels of carbon monoxide were detected.

Police said no one at the store, which is at Ford and Canton Center roads, had to be taken to the hospital.

DTE Energy, the parent company of Michcon, who was investigating the situation, said carbon monoxide was leaking from a heating unit.

The unit was shut off and is already in the process of being repaired.

The store's opening was delayed about an hour.