Group says Dearborn police assaulted, injured mentally disabled man

CAIR plans to take legal action against Dearborn police after December 2013 incident

DEARBORN, Mich. – It happened back in December and now the case is heating up.

The Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) says dashcam video shows Dearborn police manhandling a mentally disabled man. The group is ready to take action against police.

The man, 26-year-old Ali Beydoun, was on his bike when a Dearborn police officer stopped him. The video shows things take a turn for the worse as the officer tries to pat down Beydoun.

A tussle began as Beydoun resisted arrest. More officers responded and the struggle went out of the dashcam's view.

An officer allegedly kicked Beydoun while he was on the ground. He was finally arrested.

CAIR is taking legal action against police after Beydoun said he was assaulted and injured by the officers. The video is the group's main piece of evidence.

View/download: Dec. 7, 2013 police report from Dearborn police

Dearborn police released this statement:

"A thorough Police Department review of an incident in December 2013 involving Ali Beydoun, who resisted police officers' lawful instructions, resulting in the necessary use of force, showed the officers acted and reported the incident appropriately and according to approved department protocols.

A videotape of the incident, which occurred at 4:47 a.m. on December 7, 2013 shows a physical encounter that resulted from Mr. Beydoun resisting a pat down for weapons.
However, what attracted the officer's attention to this individual incident is not given on the video. Mr. Beydoun was not dressed properly for the 20 degree weather that December morning. Despite riding his bicycle in the street, his bike did not have a light and he disregarded several stop signs.

Mr. Beydoun was on a bike at 4:47 a.m. in a neighborhood that has experienced auto thefts and break-ins. It is common for criminals to use a bike when traveling to an area to steal cars. Autos have been stolen in cold weather when owners start them, but leave them unattended to warm up.

Mr. Beydoun could not produce an I.D. when asked to do so by the officer, nor could he answer where he had come from. The officer then indicated that he was going to conduct a pat down for weapons. That is when Mr. Beydoun began to resist and pull away from the officer.

Mr. Beydoun did not appear to be injured following the incident. He was not arrested.

Once the incident was under control, officers cared for the well-being of Mr. Beydoun by transporting him to Oakwood Hospital for suspected mental health issues. A family member was contacted.

The family member told police that despite his behavior during the incident and his lack of ability to clearly communicate with officers, he did not take medications, did not have a mental health diagnosis or have a known mental illness."

About the Authors:

Dave Bartkowiak Jr. is the digital managing editor for ClickOnDetroit.