What happened when Bedford Township teen went missing?

Hayley Turner found safe, but police continue to investigate what happened


ECORSE, Mich.Hayley Turner, 18, is safe with her parents, recovering after going missing for 16 hours, but now police are trying to figure out what happened during those hours before she turned up on a residential street 45 miles away in Ecorse.

Police are not releasing any description of a possible suspect or suspect vehicle. They remained tight-lipped Saturday and told Local 4 they're trying to get to the bottom of what happened.

Local 4 spoke with Turner's family members Saturday, who said they are traumatized, in shock and went through a tremendous ordeal.

The family members said Turner has told them what happened during the 16 hour disappearance, but wouldn't elaborate.

There is now a joint investigation being conducted by Ecorse and Monroe County detectives.

What we know so far:

Around 10 p.m. Thursday, Turner was driving home from the video store.

She was talking to a friend on her phone when Turner said she saw a man lying in the ditch and wanted to see if he was OK.

The next thing Turner's friend heard was that the man had a gun and to call her dad.

Turner's father arrived minutes later to Crabb and Dean roads in Bedford Township to find her car still running and abandoned.

The girl's wallet was inside but her iPad was gone. The family said her cellphone was found a few blocks away with the battery taken out.

Turner found miles away in Ecorse:

Thursday night and Friday morning, Monroe County police conducted an extensive search across Bedford Township as community members put up missing person signs.

But the teen wasn't in Bedford Township.

Sixteen hours later, Turner said she jumped from a moving vehicle in Ecorse near West Outer Drive and 19th Street.

No one in the neighborhood saw Turner jump from a vehicle around 2:30 p.m. Friday.

Teen tells police she was abducted at gunpoint, 'hooded'

Turner's family said the teen wasn't wearing a shirt when a woman driving by saw her and waited with the girl, calling Ecorse police and the girl's family.

At this time there is no description of a suspect or the vehicle she allegedly jumped from.

Turner was taken to a hospital and a short time later was released and reunited with her family.

Turner told police she was abducted at gunpoint and at some point "hooded."

However, people who live in Bedford Township, where the girl's car was discovered abandoned, told Local 4 they didn't see any other vehicle or anything out of the ordinary.

About the Author: