Recipes: Memorial Day menu swaps
DETROIT – Local 4 is helping you get ready to cook for Memorial Day this weekend. Check out some of the recipes below to prepare for your holiday celebration.
Nutritionist Julie Feldman has these great recipes to try...
Quinoa Almond Berry Salad
- 3/4 cup dry quinoa
- 2 1/2 to 3 cups (1 pint) strawberries, sliced
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups (16 ounces) fresh blueberries
- 1 cup cherries, pitted and sliced
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup or agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 1/2 cup almonds, chopped
- 2 5- to 6-ounce cans tuna
- 1/2 cup coarse dry whole-wheat breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup olive oil mayonnaise, divided
- 1 4-ounce jar chopped pimientos, drained, or 1/3 cup chopped roasted red peppers, divided
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning, divided
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 lettuce leaves
- 4 slices tomato
- Combine tuna, breadcrumbs, 1/4 cup mayonnaise, half of the pimientos (or roasted red peppers), celery, onion and 1/4 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning in a medium bowl, breaking up any larger pieces of tuna until the mixture is uniform and holds together.
- Combine the remaining 1/4 cup mayonnaise, the remaining pimientos (or peppers) and 1/4 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning in a bowl.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Using a generous 1/3 cup each, form the tuna mixture into four 3-inch burgers. Cook until heated through and golden brown, about 2 minutes per side.
- Spread the top half of each bun (or English muffin) with pimiento mayonnaise and place a burger, lettuce and tomato on the bottom half.
Portobello Mushroom Bacon – Vegan Bacon
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 large Portobello mushroom – washed and patted dry
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 2 ounces liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Pepper to taste
- 3 pounds ground turkey
- 1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup finely diced onion
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Copyright 2015 by ClickOnDetroit.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.