84ºF

Man charged in deadly Highland Park bus stop shooting now charged with sexual assault

Malcom Bernard Benson faces list of charges

photo

HIGHLAND PARK, Mich. – A Highland Park man charged with fatally shooting another man at a bus stop earlier this month is also accused of sexually assaulting a woman in the same area shortly before the shooting.

Malcom Bernard Benson, 50, was arraigned Friday on charges of felony murder, armed robbery, criminal sexual conduct and for being a felon in possession of a firearm.

He's also charged as a habitual offender, having been convicted of murder more than 20 years ago. He served 21 years in prison and was released in January. He was living in a halfway house in the city.

Police said Benson robbed and shot 59-year-old Stanley Carter on Sept. 16 as he waited for a bus on Woodward Avenue at Tennyson Street.

During the investigation, police said it was discovered that in the early morning hours shortly before Carter's shooting, Benson also sexually assaulted a Highland Park woman.

At his arraignment Friday, Benson disputed the criminal sexual conduct charge. Judge Brigette Officer-Hill repeated the charge.

"That's bull****," Benson said.

A not guilty plea was entered. He is being held without bond at the Wayne County Jail. His next court date is Oct. 6.

Benson has a criminal history that includes