7-year-old boy handcuffed at school in Flint

Mother wants answers

FLINT, Mich. – A boy's mother was called to come to the school and when she got there, she found her 7-year-old son in handcuffs. Chrystal McCadden says she got a call on Oct. 12 to come to her son's school and found him in handcuffs.

"He don't deserve to be in no handcuffs," McCadden said. "He ain't here with no knife, he ain't here with no gun."

When she asked to have the handcuffs taken off, she says the officer claimed he didn't have the key. She says her son sat there in handcuffs for nearly an hour.

The police department released the following statement:

"An officer was dispatched to Brownell STEM Academy in response to an urgent call for immediate assistance with a child who appeared intent on injuring himself, as well as repeatedly assaulting others. The officer used handcuffs to retrain the child to prevent injury to the child or others."

McCadden describes her son as 'hyperactive,' and says he's been diagnosed with ADHD. But she says he's not a violent child. She called it unacceptable that her son was restrained this way and she's not backing down until she gets some answers.

"It could've been a lock down, a fire drill or anything and yet no one is saying anything to me," McCadden said. "The principal is asking questions and no one has told him anything."

McCadden told Local 4 News that she had a meeting Friday night with the police chief and he has assured her that they will work with the school to get to the bottom of this. McCadden says it wasn't until two other officers showed up at the school, that those handcuffs were removed.

An officer was sent to the school in response to a child who appeared intent on injuring himself and was assaulting others, according to police.

The Flint School District released a statement saying, "We are working in partnership with the Flint Police Department to get to the bottom of this incident. We are conducting a full review of the situation so we can get the facts."

The mother had a meeting Friday evening with the police chief and he assured her that they will get to the bottom of this.

About the Author: