Detroit family jumps from windows to escape house fire
DETROIT – A 3-year-old boy is on life support after being pulled from a house fire early Tuesday morning on Detroit's east side.
Shirley Love said she was in the home on Bessemore Street with her two daughters, and niece -- who had her 1-year-old, 4-year-old and 3-year-old in the home -- when the fire broke out around 1:30 a.m.
The family had to jump from second-story windows to escape.
“I couldn’t get them from upstairs. I went to the side of the house and they were breaking out the windows as I was coming around the side of the house and I told them they had to jump," Love said.
The 3-year-old, KJ, is at Detroit Receiving Hospital.
Investigators described the fire as "electrical" but have not made a definite determination as to what caused it.
Montece Wilkerson, who also lives in the home but was not there when the fire started, told Local 4 it might have been a space heater.
Copyright 2016 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.