Michigan ranks 4th on 'Top Mosquito cities' list
List compilied by Orkin based on customers served in 2015
Detroit ranks fourth on a list of the most mosquito-suffering cities in the U.S., according to Orkin.
Atlanta, Chicago and Washington D.C. topped the list, which the pest control company says is based on its number of mosquito customers served in 2015.
Other Michigan cities that made the list: Grand Rapid/Kalamazoo/Battle Creek at No. 15, Flint/Saginaw/Bay City at No. 28 and Lansing at No. 33
“Mosquitoes are a major health concern during the summer,” said Ron Harrison, Ph.D., entomologist and Orkin technical services director. “Mosquitoes are known carriers of several diseases, including Zika virus, Chikungunya virus and West Nile virus, so people across the United States – whether their city is on the list or not – need to take precaution to help prevent mosquito bites."
How to protect yourself against mosquito-borne illnesses:
Eliminate Standing Water in Yard
• Remove standing water from gutters, buckets, toys and other containers, as mosquitoes can breed in just a few inches of standing water.
• Change water weekly in bird baths, fountains, potted plants and any containers that hold standing water.
• Keep pool water treated and circulating.
Prevent Mosquito Bites
• Wear long-sleeved shirts and long pants.
• Use EPA-registered mosquito repellents containing one of the following active ingredients: DEET, picaridin, oil of lemon eucalyptus, para-menthane-diol or IR3535.
Eliminate Entry Points
• Use air-conditioning when possible.
• Close gaps around windows and in walls.
• Repair and use window and door screens to help prevent entry.