Oakland County has $26.9M in projects planned this construction season
BEVERLY HILLS, Mich. – The Road Commission for Oakland County (RCOC) on Friday released details of nearly $27 million worth of road projects that are planned for this year's construction season.
The projects range from road widenings and gravel road paving to resurfacing projects, bridge maintenance and culvert replacements and repairs. Work will start on some projects as early as late March. Others will start at various points throughout the construction season. Last year, the road commission spent about $55 million.
“We are excited about the improvements we’re going to make to a variety of roads in Oakland County this year,” RCOC Chairman Ron Fowkes said. “These important improvements will improve the quality of life and the business environment in the county.”
Fowkes acknowledged that far more work needs to be done on the roads in the county, but that funding limitations hamper additional plans.
"We’re still working in 2016 without additional road funding,” he explained. “Oakland County still has nearly $3 billion in un-funded road needs. However, we are working with our partner communities to do everything we can with the available funding.”
A few of the projects:
- Partial widening, reconstruction and dual culvert replacement on Big Beaver Road from Woodward (M-1) to Adams (started March 3 with utility relocation),
- Reconstruction of Dequindre from Burning Bush Street to West Utica in partnership with the Macomb County Road Commission and communities of Troy, Sterling Heights, Rochester Hills and Shelby Township,
- Reconstruction of Court Tower Blvd. from County Center Drive to Hospital Drive on the Oakland County government campus,
- Resurfacing of Rochester Road from Gerst Road to Bordman Road in Addison Twp.,
- Rehabilitation, resurfacing and adding a center left-turn lane on Maple Road from Farmington Road to Drake Road,
- Paving Clyde Road from Tipscio Lake Road to Hickory Ridge (beginning April 11),
- Heavy maintenance and repairs on four bridges,
- Culvert replacements on 11 Mile Road in Lyon Twp., Overbrook Road in Bloomfield Twp. and Middlebelt Road in Farmington Hills.
Copyright 2016 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.