Many demanding refunds after waiting hours for performers at music festival

Soulfood Festival ticket holders left before anyone ever took stage

DETROIT – Hundreds gathered in downtown Detroit for a music festival, but many left disappointed and demanding a refund.

People purchased tickets for the two-day Soulfood Festival in Hart Plaza. It included a concert by R&B artists, but many ticket holders left before anyone ever took the stage.

A sign out front still shows the festival will continue Sunday, but if what happened Saturday night was an indication, those with tickets said they want a refund. People waited, some for almost eight hours before finding out that some artists didn't take the stage because of some money issues with the promoter.

Bonnie McMillom left the two-day festival without catching a single performance.

"I'm upset. I'm disappointed. You spend your good money, you work hard, want to relax for the weekend and this is what we get," McMillom said.

She spent $80 for tickets and like hundreds who gathered in Hart Plaza, she doesn't believe she got what she paid for.

Carmella Summerville and her husband came down to hear some classic R&B jams. They're celebrating their 17th wedding anniversary, but the couple ended up sitting for hours before somebody got on the stage.

"The people that supposed to be here ain't here. I head they were supposed to perform," Summerville said.

Around 8 p.m., nearly six hours after the gates opened, an artist finally took the stage.

Tony Green performed and later told Local 4 News that pay issues were the reason for the delay.

90s R&B balladeer Tevin Campbell also performed. Campbell said the crowd deserved a show no matter the situation.

"I will tell you I'm good friends with the promoter," Campbell said. "I have a good relationship with the promoter and I understand bull crap happens."

But after eight hours of waiting, Anjail Shabazz left demanding one thing: a refund.

"The musicians haven't been here that supposed to perform and we can't stay here all night," Shabazz said.

Before the night ended, the gates were left unattended and anyone could come into the venue, ticket or not, which was another reason ticket-holders were upset. Big name acts including Angela Winbush and the Temptations did not step foot on stage.