SOUTH LYON, Mich. – A fifth-grade camp trip that lasts for several days has been a South Lyon Schools tradition for nearly 20 years, but parents are only finding out now about allegations of a camp staff member behaving inappropriately over the summer, and more children attending camp since then.
Parents were respectful but clearly angry as they lobbed questions at both the district administration as well as the camp administration for nearly three hours Thursday night.
In June, a group of fifth-graders went to the Clear Lake Camp in Battle Creek for the annual trip. There is an allegation a counselor was inappropriate with some of the students.
A criminal investigation is still ongoing, but the male counselor has been fired. Already South Lyon has sent more students to the camp since June and parents were not told of the situation.
"I will never send any of my kids," parent Ann Krushka said. "Sadly, my older daughter went as a seventh-grader, had a great experience, so it's too bad that my son will not get to do that."
Parents blamed the school administration and the camp.
Another group was slated to leave Tuesday. Parents crowded a school Thursday night livid over the lack of answers and lack of communication from the district.
"They knew and they didn't tell us," parent A.J. Logan said. "Their job is to work for the best interests of our students and our families."
The superintendent got an earful.
"I do think within our legal abilities what we can we will communicate more rapidly moving forward," Superintendent Melissa Baker said. "That's something that our community has asked for, so we hear that."