Police: University of Michigan student robbed at gunpoint in Ann Arbor
ANN ARBOR, Mich. – The University of Michigan is on alert after a female student was robbed Friday morning when a man brandishing a gun demanded her purse, police said.
The incident happened 2:20 a.m. near Prospect and Wells streets in Ann Arbor, which is off campus. Investigators said the man took off with her purse and ran west toward Packard Street.
The woman was not injured during the incident.
The University of Michigan asks anyone with information to contact the University of Michigan Division of Public Safety and Security at 734-763-1131 or the Ann Arbor Police Department tip line at 734-794-6939 or at email@example.com.
Safety advice from University of Michigan:
- Look assertive and be aware of your surroundings.
- Be aware that your risk increases in secluded and isolated areas.
- Walk with a trusted friend or co-worker when possible.
- Trust your intuition -- if a particular situation makes you feel uncomfortable or unsafe, choose an alternative
- Have your keys in hand before you reach your vehicle or residence.
- If you feel threatened on campus, look for a blue light emergency phone or call 911 from any phone.
- Keep rooms and apartments locked at all times.
- Confidential Tip Line 1-800-863-1355.
For status updates, see the U-M DPSS website: dpss.umich.edu.
Copyright 2016 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.