Monroe apartment fire displaces 6 families, crews work to douse fire

Fire started in basement of resale shop below apartments

MONROE, Mich. – Six families have been displaced after a fire broke out in an apartment building in Monroe, the Monroe Fire Department said.

The fire started around 5 a.m. Saturday morning in the basement of a resale shop on Monroe Street.

Families living in the apartments above the store were evacuated and have been temporarily displaced.

The fire department said they're unsure if the homes are a complete loss, adding that as of 11 a.m., they are still working on putting out the fire.

The Red Cross is assisting the displaced families.


Sign up for ClickOnDetroit breaking news alerts and email newsletters