37ºF

Proposed outlet mall in Romulus won't move forward

photo


DETROIT – A proposed 350,000 square foot outlet mall off Interstate 94, near Detroit Metro Airport in Romulus is not moving forward.

The plan, proposed in 2015, was slated to open last year, and was hoping to house 90 stores. On Monday, developers announced the project has been halted, citing a lack of committed tenants.

The proposed outlet mall is the third in Metro Detroit to be postponed or canceled in the last three years. Other ventures came to a halt in Canton Township and Macomb County.

New England Development brought the project to Romulus officials in 2014 and optioned 35 acres on the southeast corner of Wick and Vining.

ALSO SEE: Here are the Michigan stores that are closing in 2017

Paragon joined forces with New England in 2015 when Paragon’s proposed mall venture in Canton did not come to fruition. At that point, Paragon was responsible for tenant leasing and government approvals at the Romulus site, while New England planned to handle mall management after the outlet mall opened.

“The developers simply could not get enough tenants,” said Timothy Keyes, the city of Romulus’ economic development director.

Keyes said Tanger’s deal with the land owner has lapsed and the development team has returned the land to the property owner.

“Naturally, we are very disappointed with the news, but we would prefer they not move forward with a project they would not complete,” Keyes said.

Here's our 2015 report on the proposed outlet mall:


About the Author: