46ºF

Sexual assault charges reinstated against former MSU, Pistons star Mateen Cleaves

Charges initially dropped in December

DETROIT – Sexual assault charges against Mateen Cleaves have been reinstated, officials announced Monday.

Charges against Cleaves were dropped Dec. 5 after a judge said there was no probable cause to bind the case over for trial.

The victim testified that she met Cleaves during a charity golf event last year and said he sexually assaulted her in a Flint motel.

The woman said that after she had drinks with Cleaves at a bar, she left with him, thinking that he was driving her back to the golf course. Instead, they ended up at a motel, where she said Cleaves forced himself on her, dragging her back into the motel room when she tried to get away.

"I ran out of the room," she said. "He came out of the room a second time. I mouthed, 'Help me.'"

READOfficer says he was pressured to make Mateen Cleaves look guilty

The defense asked for all charges to be thrown out because the accuser didn't initially tell investigators that she was sexually assaulted.

Prosecutors appealed the decision to dismiss the charges in late December.

No court dates have been set, officials said.

Stay with ClickOnDetroit.com for updates.