Woman charged after leading police chase with Waterford officer clinging to roof of car

Woman drives off with Waterford police officer clinging to roof of car


WATERFORD TOWNSHIP, Mich. – A woman accused of having hit a Waterford Township police officer while fleeing from law enforcement was charged Friday by the Oakland County Prosecutor's Office.

Tiffany Elise Edwards was charged with assault with intent to do great bodily harm less than murder, third-degree fleeing a police officer and assaulting, resisting or obstructing a police officer.

Edwards is being held at the Oakland County Jail on $50,000 bail. She is scheduled to return to court June 21 for a preliminary exam.

According to the Waterford Township Police Department, a teenage girl left a CVS drug store near Crescent Lake Road and Highland Road in Waterford Township sometime after midnight.

After leaving the store, the girl noticed a vehicle driving slowly in the parking lot. The teen proceeded to make her way home and noticed that the same vehicle, which was being driven by Edwards, was following her home.

Once the teen arrived home, she notified her mother that the woman who was following her parked next door to the teen’s home. The mother contacted the Waterford Police Department and reported that the woman who had followed her daughter home was now in their backyard.

Once officers arrived on scene, they found Edwards walking back to her car. When officers approached her vehicle, she accelerated, and the officers began a pursuit, police said.

The pursuit led the officers and Edwards to a dead-end road, where she was again approached by officers, police said.

An officer drew his weapon and approached Edwards when she quickly accelerated toward the officer, striking him and causing him to land on top of the hood of her vehicle, police said.

The officer fired shots into the car, but did none of the bullets hit Edwards.

Police said the officer was thrown from the vehicle, and another pursuing officer took over. Edwards eventually stopped her vehicle and fled on foot, according to officials.

Police said she was found hiding behind a nearby business a short time later by tracking dogs. She was arrested and taken to a hospital for superficial wounds.

Police said the officer who was hit by her vehicle sustained non-life-threatening injuries. He was released from the hospital and is expected to make a full recovery.

About the Authors: