Man charged in connection with shooting of off-duty Detroit police officer during attempted robbery

1 suspect killed in shootout


DETROIT – A 19-year-old man was charged Wednesday in the shooting of an off-duty Detroit police officer during an attempted robbery on the city's east side.

Keevon Deewon Robinson, of Detroit, is charged with armed robbery and conspiracy to commit armed robbery.

The shooting happened Sunday at about 11 p.m. on the corner of Gratiot Avenue and Chene Street, outside the Motor City Liquor store. Police believe the officer was the target of an attempted robbery.

ORIGINAL REPORT: Off-duty Detroit police officer critically injured in shootout

Authorities say Robinson was a participant in the armed robbery. It is also alleged that Robinson took the wounded officer's department issued handgun and cell phone.

Robinson was arraigned Wednesday and bond was set a $1 million.

According to police, the officer made a purchase at the store and walked into the parking lot. Craig said security cameras captured the shooting, but that the location is not a Green Light program and the quality is low.

"If it was a Green Light location, we probably would have had a plate number, a vehicle description," Craig said.

A suspect is seen running to the officer in the parking lot with his arm extended, holding a weapon. The officer drew his weapon. Both parties fired.

The suspect was shot and killed. The officer was shot twice -- in the torso and foot.

The 27-year-old officer was rushed to Detroit Receiving Hospital where he underwent emergency surgery. He is in critical condition. He has been on the force for one year.

Craig said the officer told him two things Monday morning: he wants to get out of the hospital and he wants a police motorcycle.

Police originally said third suspect arrived on scene, takes guns

Detroit police originally said a third suspect had arrived on the scene 8 minutes after the shooting and retrieved the officer's weapon and the gunman's weapon.

“His gun was laying adjacent to him,” Craig said. “He removed the gun and then he went over to where the officer was lying, and it appeared that he may have taken his gun as well.”

Police now believe Robinson was the man who returned to the scene.

“The fact that this individual, instead of trying to render aid, they basically approached the downed suspect, and my sense is that there is a relationship with this suspect that was down and this person,” Craig said.

Stay with Local 4 and ClickonDetroit.com as more information becomes available.

Sign up for ClickOnDetroit Email Newsletters (click here) for more stories like this.