DOWAGIAC, Mich. – Authorities say a man has died after being thrown from a personal watercraft and hit by the vehicle at a lake in southwestern Michigan.
The crash happened Tuesday at Magician Lake in Cass County. The sheriff's department says 28-year-old Derek Jackson of Gobles hit a wave and was thrown from the watercraft. He was taken to a hospital in South Bend, Indiana, where he was pronounced dead.
The St. Joseph County, Indiana, coroner's office determined that Jackson drowned. The Cass County sheriff's department says the crash is under investigation.
LOCAL NEWS HEADLINES:
- Body found floating in Lake Michigan near Leland Harbor
- Flint airport terror suspect Amor Ftouhi due in court today
- Man shot, killed during block party fireworks celebration in Highland Park
- Ford Road reopens in both directions at Central City Parkway after crash
- Downed transformer sparks multiple fires on Detroit's east side; power outages reported
- Police crack down on Detroit's riverfront
- Man charged in suspected drunken driving crash that killed 19-year-old in Saline
- Fire caused by fireworks in Shelby Twp. very minor, fire chief says
- WEATHER: Metro Detroit weather forecast: Wonderful Wednesday on tap
- Flat Rock woman says employees laughed at boy with autism after family kicked out of Taylor business
- Victim uncooperative after shooting at gas station on Detroit's east side