27ºF

Officials identify 8-year-old Detroit boy who died from suspected alcohol poisoning

Family says Jamere Arnold may have drunk alcoholic drink at home


DETROIT – Officials have identified the 8-year-old Detroit boy suspected of dying from alcohol poisoning as Jamere Arnold.

Jamere's mother is devastated after her 8-year-old son went into cardiac arrest and died from suspected alcohol poisoning, police said.

The family gathered all day Thursday at the home on Detroit's east side to grieve the tragedy.

What happened

Medics said they responded around 1:30 a.m. Thursday to a report of a sick child at the grandmother's home on Conley Street.

Jamere was rushed to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Jamere may have gotten ahold of someone's cup containing alcohol at a home in the 19900 block of Conley Street, according to his grandmother, who lives at the home.

Detroit police are investigating the death. An autopsy will be needed to confirm if this was in fact a death caused by alcohol poisoning.

Neighbors shocked

Family members said Thursday was supposed to be a fun day. Instead, Jamere's mother has to plan for a funeral.

"If something like that were to happen to my kids, I wouldn't know what to do," said neighbor Jamal Sane said.

The playful 8-year-old boy was the center of his mother's world, judging by her Facebook page.

Family members said they are trying to figure out if this was just a tragic accident.

Neighbors are feeling for the family.

"This is a quiet neighborhood, so everybody keeps to themselves ... this has to touch your heart somehow," Sane said.

Why do young children have such a severe reaction to alcohol? Local 4's Dr. Frank McGeorge explained why children react so differently to alcohol than adults. You can hear his explanation in the video posted above.

Sign up for ClickOnDetroit breaking news alerts and email newsletters


About the Authors: