47ºF

Dr. Larry Nassar expected to change plea in child pornography case at hearing today

Motion hearing scheduled for 10:30 a.m. Tuesday

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. – Former Michigan State and USA Gymnastics Dr. Larry Nassar is expected to change his plea in a child pornography case during a hearing scheduled for Tuesday morning.

According to court records, attorneys for Nassar filed a motion to change his plea.

The motion hearing is scheduled for 10:30 a.m. Tuesday.

UPDATE: Dr. Larry Nassar pleads guilty to child pornography charges

Nassar was arrested last year by FBI agents on new child porn charges.

A court document alleges that on Sept. 18, 2004 and Dec. 1, 2004, Nassar received child pornography that was sent to him over the internet.

The document also says that between Feb. 6, 2003 and Sept, 20, 2016, Nassar was in possession of computer disks and electronic files that had thousands of images of child pornography.

Some of the images allegedly included a minor who was younger than 12 years old, officials said.

The allegations are separate from charges against Nassar of first-degree criminal sexual conduct in Michigan involving a child under 13.

Three charges were filed against Nassar, according to online court records in Ingham County. The alleged incidents occurred in 1998. The records don't indicate whether the charges involve one victim or more.

Nassar, 53, was under scrutiny after two gymnasts, including a member of the 2000 U.S. women's Olympic team, accused him of sexual abuse.

Nassar was accused of sexually abusing two former gymnasts -- a former Olympic medalist and a 31-year-old woman who now lives in Kentucky.

Rachael Denhollander told an Indianapolis newspaper that Nassar sexually assaulted her when she was 15 years old during club gymnastics in Michigan.

Denhollander said the assault happened while her mother was in the room, but he would position her in such a way that her mother couldn't see what Nassar was doing.

Additionally, lawyers for multiple women and girls told Michigan State University that they plan to sue the school over alleged sexual assaults by Nassar.

A notice was filed in the Michigan Court of Claims. It's a procedural step under state law.

The letter accuses Nassar of "digital penetration" without proper notice "under the guise of providing care" at his office at Michigan State, from 1996 to 2015. Attorney Stephen Drew says most were gymnasts from across Michigan.

The notice says Michigan State didn't properly investigate complaints about Nassar. Messages seeking comment from Michigan State weren't immediately returned.

Nassar has denied wrongdoing. He was on the faculty at Michigan State University but was fired in September for not complying with "employment requirements" put in place after a 2014 investigation of alleged misconduct. MSU didn't elaborate.

USA Gymnastics, based in Indianapolis, cut its ties to Nassar in 2015.

Stay with ClickOnDetroit.com for updates.