Teen charged with murder in fatal stabbing of father defending son in Huron Township

18-year-old man arrested in Taylor

Stacy Rose is accused of fatally stabbing Robert Briscoe, Sr.
Stacy Rose is accused of fatally stabbing Robert Briscoe, Sr.

HURON TOWNSHIP, Mich. – An 18-year-old Taylor man has been charged with first-degree murder in connection with the fatal stabbing of a father who was defending his son in Huron Township.

Robert Briscoe, Sr., of Huron Township, was fatally stabbed Sunday night outside of his home when a group of juveniles allegedly came to fight his son, according to police.

Four teens allegedly went to the Huron Estates mobile home park about an hour prior to the stabbing. Witnesses said they caused a disturbance, destroying property, and left, only to return at about 10:30 p.m., when a fight broke out in the street.

Briscoe, 49, came outside to break up the fight when he was fatally stabbed. He died steps away from his front door. Briscoe was a father to five children and a grandfather to three grandchildren.

"I think it's shocking," neighbor Donald Baker said.

Suspect arrested

Police said Stacy Wayne Rose, Jr., fled the scene after stabbing Briscoe.

Rose allegedly fled on foot through the neighborhood after the stabbing, police said. Police were able to relay suspect information provided by witnesses to surrounding police departments.

Rose was arrested outside his home in Taylor during a traffic stop. Three other teens were detained until their role in the incident could be determined.

"Some acquaintances that didn’t see eye to eye," Huron Township Public Safety Director Everette Robbins said. "We’re still investigating to try and figure out what the motive was."

Rose arraigned

Rose, of Taylor, is charged with first-degree murder.

He was arraigned Wednesday afternoon before 34th District Court Judge David Parrott. Bond was denied.

A probable-cause conference is scheduled for Aug. 23. A preliminary examination is scheduled for Aug. 30.

Investigation leads to arrest

Authorities spent the early morning hours investigating the stabbing and witnesses were able to provide police with information that led to a speedy arrest.

Everette held a news conference Monday morning.

"It appears that the suspect meant to stab the person that he stabbed," Robbins said. "It doesn’t appear to be accidental."

Michigan State Police Crime Lab conducted evidence collection, and a K-9 unit was brought to the scene.

Stay with Local 4 and for updates.