Electrical cable failure determined cause of Greektown explosions
No injuries reported
DETROIT – An underground electrical cable failure caused of explosions in Greektown Wednesday night that sent manhole covers into the air and prompted evacuations.
No injuries were reported. DTE Energy says electrical service wasn’t affected.
ORIGINAL REPORT: Detroit's Greektown evacuated after manhole covers blow
The first explosion happened around 9:30 p.m. with reports that manhole covers were forced into the air.
Pedestrians were cleared from the streets, and Fishbone’s restaurant and the Atheneum Suite Hotel were evacuated.
The force of the explosions blew a door off a nearby building and damaged a car, according to Deputy Fire Commissioner David Fornell.
A manhole cover was found on the roof of a nearby eight-story building.
“A thick, heavy plume of smoke filled the air,” Detroit police Capt. Darin Szlagy said. “We determined it was coming from underground.”
Firefighters said smoke filled the basement of Fishbone’s restaurant.
The perimeter of Greetown was blocked off.
Authorities assessed the damage of the area Thursday morning. DTE crews worked through the night to make repairs.
Stay with Local 4 and ClickonDetroit.com for updates.
Sign up for ClickOnDetroit Email Newsletters (click here) for more stories like this.
Copyright 2017 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.