FERNDALE, Mich. – A man in his 30s was injured Monday in an explosion at a small strip of businesses in Ferndale, firefighters said.
Ferndale officials said the explosion happened at 2:52 p.m. Monday inside a strip of businesses on Hilton Road near I-696.
When firefighters arrived at the business, they found a man who told them he had been inside the building when the explosion happened. He was taken to Detroit Receiving Hospital with significant second- and third-degree burns.
"It is essential that people avoid the immediate area to allow our professionals to get the situation under control safely and expediently," Fire Marshal Batten said.
Batten said the explosion and fire appear to have been caused by an illegal hash oil production operation. The injured man was using propane to produce hash oil, which spilled and created an explosion, he said.
The Ferndale Fire Department is continuing to investigate the explosion.
Residents who live behind the fire are asked to stay out of their backyards.
"We stress that residents and nearby businesses are safe and there is no danger of the fire spreading," Batten said. "But we worry about burning or collapse of overhead power lines in situations like this. Best for neighboring residents to stay indoors and out of harm’s way."
Batten said the fire produced a lot of smoke, so windows and doors should stay closed.
Hilton Road is completely closed between Woodward Heights and 10 Mile roads.
Stay with ClickOnDetroit.com for updates.