Exel Taylor bound over on charges in 3-year-old Detroit girl's shooting

3-year-old girl still recovering in hospital

DETROIT – The man charged with the shooting of a 3-year-old girl in Detroit earlier this month was due in court Tuesday for a preliminary exam.

London Muldrow (WDIV)
London Muldrow (WDIV)

Exel Taylor, 24, is charged with three counts of assault with intent to commit murder, carrying a concealed weapon in a motor vehicle, carrying a weapon with unlawful intent and felony firearms violations.

Shots were fired at about 2:46 p.m. on April 7 outside the gas station in the 15900 block of Livernois.

The Wayne County Prosecutor's Office said Taylor was arguing with a 28-year-old man inside the gas station. The argument continued outside where it became physical.

Taylor allegedly went to his car, pulled out a gun and began firing at the man. One of those bullets struck 3-year-old London Muldrow in the head as she was sitting in her mother's vehicle. She remains hospitalized.

Police said Taylor ran to a nearby Valero and called a friend to pick him up. They were both arrested blocks away from the shooting scene. A weapon was recovered.

Preliminary hearing underway

Sgt. Lance Sullivan was the first to take the stand and testified about the surveillance video from the gas station.

The video was played in the court room. Watch the video below:

The 3-year-old’s mother, Laurice Henderson, took the stand and told the court about the shooting.

Laurice Henderson, mother of London Muldrow
Laurice Henderson, mother of London Muldrow

“I saw two people having an altercation,” Henderson said. “I tried to pull off but he was already shooting.”

Henderson identified Taylor as the shooter.

She told the court the bullet is still lodged in London’s head and will be undergoing another surgery soon.

The other man involved in the altercation was called as a witness at the preliminary hearing but the man’s attorney’s objected to his testifying. The attorneys asked the prosecution to provide documents stating their client would not be charged in the assault. The prosecution said no charges were being pursued. The man pleaded the fifth and did not take the stand.

The prosecution rested.

Taylor was bound over on all charges except carrying a weapon with unlawful intent and one of the four felony firearms violations.

Stay with ClickOnDetroit for updates.