Central Michigan bans Phi Sigma Phi fraternity over sexual misconduct, hazing allegations
CMU students warned to stay away from Phi Sigma Phi gatherings
MOUNT PLEASANT, Mich. – Central Michigan University has removed the Phi Sigma Phi fraternity and warned students to avoid its gatherings and events, the school announced Wednesday.
CMU ended Phi Sigma Phi's status as a registered student organization, citing safety concerns.
The decision comes after multiple accusations of sexual misconduct, hazing and dangerous behaviors were made against the fraternity.
One of the fraternity's members died this spring after a social event, CMU officials said.
"The trail of repeated accusations shows a significant threat to the safety of CMU students," the university said in a release. "Today's action officially removes Phi Sigma Phi from CMU forever. University officials caution all students to avoid the group and its gatherings or events."
Anyone seeking support or wanting to discuss what they've seen or experienced with Phi Sigma Phi can contact CMU in the following ways:
- Office of Civil Rights and Institutional Equity and Title IX coordinator, which investigates reports of sexual misconduct: 989-774-3253; email@example.com
- Office of Student Conduct, which investigates potential violations of the university's student code of conduct: 989-774-1345; StudentConduct@cmich.edu
- SAPA — Sexual Aggression Peer Advocates, which provides 24/7 confidential support and advocacy to those affected by sexual aggression. SAPA can be reached through a support line at 989-774-2255 or via live chat through www.sapa.cmich.edu.
- Sexual Aggression Services, which includes SAPA and provides confidential services, including consultation to those who have been affected by sexual aggression. To contact the office or its director, Brooke Oliver-Hempenstall, for an appointment, call 989-774-6677 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Counseling Center, where professional staff offer a range of services: 989-774-3381; email@example.com
- CMU Police Department: 989-774-3081; firstname.lastname@example.org
Copyright 2018 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.