Video shows homeowner fire gun at teen who asked for directions
The story of the week might be the video from a porch in Rochester Hills.
That's where a homeowner faces charges including assault with intent to murder and felony firearms violations. The home surveillance video shows him firing a shotgun at a teen who knocked on his door to ask for directions.
This happened back in April. Trial got underway this week. The jury was shown the video in court. Deliberations are expected to start Friday.
Family: Woman's deadly shooting retaliation for testimony
Officials are investigating after Starkisha Thompson's body was found in the area of Cordell Street and Collingham Drive, just south of Vernier Road in Detroit. Her family believes she was shot to death over testimony she made in a carjacking case.
"She didn't want to testify because these guys were violent. They carjacked her with a gun."
Doctor beaten unconscious
In Dearborn, police want to speak to anyone who may have seen something Wednesday night near the intersection of Grindley Park and Cleveland streets. Someone attacked a 75-year-old psychologist who works in the area.
The doctor was severely beaten. Police believe it was a robbery and have found evidence to support the idea, but they aren't certain if there's something else going on.
Car with body inside found at bottom of lake
The Monroe County Sheriff's Office Dive Team found a car with a body inside and a vehicle that had previously been reported stolen were at the bottom of Lake Monroe.
Police said the human remains were sent to the Wayne County Medical Examiner's Office, which will identify the victim and determine the cause of death.
Crime by county
- A Sumpter Township man has been sentenced to life in prison for the torture and murder of his girlfriend's 4-year-old daughter, officials said. More horrific details of the case came out in court this week.
- A dispute between two Detroit neighbors on the city's east side left one hospitalized due to a pellet gun shooting, according to officials.
- A 26-year-old Michigan man was arrested Wednesday after he allegedly struck a pedestrian while driving drunk and left the scene after a rollover crash, Oakland County deputies said.
- A 19-year-old man was arrested after entering Pontiac High School with a handgun, according to police.
- A congressional candidate has been charged in a domestic violence case after he allegedly attacked his wife in Madison Heights, police said.
- A 17-year-old South Lyon High School student was arrested after being accused of devising a plan to obtain a firearm and shoot up the school, according to officials.
- Aaron Donaghy, 47, of Troy, is accused of sexually assaulting a girl while he was a teacher at Avondale High School. He was 27 years old at the time, police said.
- David Unger, 55, of Harrison Township, was arrested in connection with a Sept. 29 double shooting in Detroit. He's accused of killing Mark Siecinski, 56, and injuring a 63-year-old man.
- Roseville police were called Thursday to the area of Groveland Street and Frazho Road for a report of shots being fired, officials said.
Manage your ClickOnDetroit newsletter subscriptions here.