ClickOnDetroit National Report -- Monday, Jan. 14, 2019
Man facing life for deadly beating of 4-year-old
An Illinois man is facing a life sentence after prosecutors said he fatally beat his girlfriend's 4-year-old daughter for spilling juice on his Xbox video game console.
Around the country:
- Texas: Police in northern Texas say a woman has been banned from a local Walmart after she spent several hours driving an electric shopping cart around the store's parking lot while drinking wine from a Pringles can. Read more.
- Kentucky: A Kentucky woman charged with drunken driving told police she did it "to teach her son a lesson." Read more.
- New Jersey: Police responded Monday to an active shooting at a UPS facility in Logan Township, New Jersey, the company said in a statement. Read more.
- Oklahoma: An inmate serving a life sentence for the first-degree murder of his 8-year-old neighbor was killed in his prison cell Friday, according to the Oklahoma Department of Corrections. Read more.
Los Angeles teachers are now on strike
More than 32,000 Los Angeles teachers and staff members are walking off the job Monday in the country's second-biggest school district. That means about 600,000 kids have no idea when they'll see their teachers again.
Wild dogs appear to carry DNA of extinct wolf
Researchers say a pack of wild canines found frolicking near the beaches of the Texas Gulf Coast carries a substantial amount of red wolf genes, a surprising discovery because the animal was declared extinct in the wild nearly 40 years ago.
More likely to die from opioids in US than car accident
For the first time on record the odds of accidentally dying from an opioid overdose in the United States are now greater than those of dying in an automobile accident.
- Government shutdown negotiations appear frozen in place
- Transcripts detail how FBI debated whether Trump was 'following directions' of Russia
- Houston airport closes checkpoint due to shutdown 'staffing issues'
- Trump threatens to 'devastate' Turkey's economy if they attack Kurds in Syria
Maroon 5 will headline Super Bowl halftime
After months of speculation and rumors, the NFL announced that Maroon 5 will be headlining the Super Bowl LIII halftime show in Atlanta.
More ENTERTAINMENT headlines:
- Two ties and more surprises at the Critics' Choice Awards
- 'Game of Thrones' sets official date for beginning of the end
- Illinois fairgrounds denies permit for R. Kelly show
- Chris Pratt engaged to Katherine Schwarzenegger
Copyright 2018 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.