ClickOnDetroit National Report -- Tuesday, Jan. 22, 2019
Supreme Court allows trans military ban to go into effect
The Supreme Court allowed President Donald Trump's transgender military ban to go into effect on Tuesday, dealing a blow to LGBT activists who call the ban cruel and irrational.
Around the country:
- Miami: Video recorded in Downtown Miami on Monday showed a white man pulling a gun and shouting racial slurs at a group of black youths participating in a Martin Luther King Jr. Day protest. Read more.
- Atlanta: Atlanta police are investigating the apparent sexual assault of woman that was livestreamed on Facebook. Read more.
- Phoenix: Two doctors who led care for a woman who gave birth after being sexually assaulted at an Arizona health care facility are no longer treating its patients, Hacienda HealthCare said Monday. Read more.
- Florida: A Florida police department says an officer ran over two people who were lying in a dark roadway to watch Sunday night's lunar eclipse. Read more.
Kentucky school closed Tuesday after viral confrontation
A Kentucky high school under scrutiny after students faced off with a Native American elder is closed Tuesday "to ensure the safety of students," according to Kenton County Commonwealth's Attorney Rob Sanders.
LA teacher strike enters 2nd week
So for the sixth school day in a row, about 30,000 educators are on strike Tuesday, demanding smaller class sizes, higher teacher salaries and more school nurses and counselors.
Michigan man held in Russia denied bail
The lawyer for an American man being held in Moscow on suspicion of spying said on Tuesday that his client was given a flash drive containing Russian "state secrets" before he was arrested, but did not know he had them and had not looked at them.
Supreme Court will hear 2nd Amendment case
A newly solidified conservative majority on the Supreme Court agreed Tuesday to take up a Second Amendment case for the first time since 2010.
More POLITICS headlines:
- Supreme Court again takes no action on DACA
- MLK's son criticizes Pence for invoking civil rights leader
- Trump takes students' side in DC protest controversy
- Democratic congressman calls Trump 'grand wizard of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue'
Chris Brown detained after rape complaint
U.S. singer Chris Brown and two other people are in custody in Paris after a woman filed a rape complaint, French officials said Tuesday.
Oscar nominations 2019
The nominees for the 91st Academy Awards were revealed Tuesday morning.
More ENTERTAINMENT headlines:
- Fox News host Bret Baier, family survive motor vehicle crash
- Donald Trump nominated for a Razzie
- Jon Bon Jovi offers free meals to unpaid federal workers
Copyright 2018 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.