ClickOnDetroit National Report -- Thursday, March 7, 2019
Video of police confrontation prompts investigation
Police in Boulder, Colorado have launched an internal affairs investigation after video spread online showing several officers confronting a black student picking up trash outside his home last week.
Around the country:
- Florida: A jury found a former South Florida police officer guilty on Thursday in the fatal shooting of a motorist whose vehicle had broken down. Read more.
- Texas: A Texas judge received a public warning after telling a jury to keep deliberating over a sex trafficking defendant because God told him she was innocent. Read more.
- California: California authorities are hoping to identify a young girl whose body was found partially inside a large duffel bag. Read more.
Huawei files suit against US government
Embattled Chinese tech giant Huawei is suing the US government in its most aggressive move yet to fight back against accusations that its technology poses a global security threat.
Chris Watts reveals gruesome murder details
A new summary of the events provides a chilling picture of how Chris Watts killed his pregnant wife, Shanann, 34, and their two children, Bella and Celeste, 3, and then disposed of their bodies at a secluded oil field where he worked. Weld County, Colorado, prosecutors said he strangled his wife with his bare hands, suffocated the children, and loaded them in his vehicle and drove away to hide their remains.
Judge rips insurer
In a scathing decision, a federal judge blasted a subsidiary of the nation's largest insurance company for focusing on the "bottom line as much or more" than patients' health, saying the insurer illegally denied treatment to thousands of people. The judge also slammed the company's medical directors for being "deceptive" under oath.
Paul Manafort to be sentenced
A federal judge will sentence Paul Manafort on Thursday for defrauding banks and the government and failing to pay taxes on millions of dollars in income he earned from Ukrainian political consulting -- charges that stemmed from special counsel Robert Mueller's investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election.
More POLITICS headlines:
- Five takeaways from Wednesday's hearings on immigration and family separation
- House Dems say anti-Semitism resolution vote expected Thursday
- Trump revokes Obama order on reporting civilians killed in airstrikes
- Second federal court strikes citizenship question from 2020 census
- Democrats say they will not hold debates on Fox News
- House Oversight Committee investigating 2018 Georgia election
Alex Trebek announces cancer diagnosis
"Jeopardy" host Alex Trebek on Wednesday announced he's been diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer in a video posted to the show's official YouTube account.
R Kelly arrested for child support
Singer R. Kelly has been taken into custody for failure to pay $161,000 in child support and was jailed Wednesday evening, according to the Cook County Sheriff's Office in Chicago.
More ENTERTAINMENT headlines:
- 'The Case Against Adnan Syed' extends 'Serial' mystery
- WarnerMedia investigating allegations against Warner Bros. chief
- Luke Perry's son posts heartbreaking tribute after father's tragic death
Copyright 2019 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.