ClickOnDetroit National Report -- Tuesday, April 23, 2019
Texas couple sentenced in forced labor case
When she arrived in the US, the West African girl was just five years old, but she soon was responsible for caring for a Texas couple's children, cooking, cleaning and mowing the lawn. She was abused and neglected for 16 years -- until she escaped, according to a criminal complaint against the couple.
Around the country:
- California: A licensed attorney in California was arrested Monday after police said he taped a camera to the top of his shoe in order to record up a girl's dress at an Apple Store. Read more.
- Texas: Six people are dead after a twin-engine plane crashed in Texas on Monday morning. Read more.
- Connecticut: Two police officers fired their weapons and shot a woman who was a passenger in a vehicle a mile from Yale University, setting off nearly a week of protests in New Haven. Read more.
- Chicago: Kim Foxx, Chicago's top prosecutor, has received emails and calls threatening her safety, her office said Monday. Read more.
- Florida: A class action lawsuit accuses authorities of illegally videotaping customers getting massages at the same Florida spa where New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft and others allegedly paid for sexual services. Read more.
2nd man to be executed in James Byrd Jr.'s death
A man who helped orchestrate one of the most horrific hate crimes in modern American history -- the dragging death of James Byrd Jr. in East Texas -- is slated to die Wednesday over the objections of some of Byrd's relatives.
Leader says militia was training to kill Clinton, Obama
A leader of an armed militia that has held hundreds of migrants at the border previously claimed the group was training to assassinate Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama, according to court documents unsealed on Monday.
Kohl's will accept returns for Amazon customers
Starting in July, all Kohl’s stores will be accepting free, convenient, unpackaged returns for Amazon customers.
IRS faces second deadline to release Trump tax returns
The Trump administration faces another deadline Tuesday to hand over six years of President Donald Trump's personal and business tax returns.
More POLITICS headlines:
- Democrats offer divergent takes on impeachment and other top takeaways from CNN's town halls
- House panel issues subpoena to former White House counsel Don McGahn
- Supreme Court will hear arguments over census citizenship question
- White House tells official not to comply with Democratic subpoena over security clearances
- Rapper YNW Melly could face the death penalty in Florida killings
- Roy Disney's granddaughter thinks Bob Iger's paycheck is 'insane'
- Former CIA deputy director makes 'Game of Thrones' cameo
- Vans announces Harry Potter collection
Copyright 2019 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.