ClickOnDetroit National Report -- Monday, May 6, 2019
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry welcome royal baby
Prince Harry and his wife Meghan, the Duchess of Sussex, are the proud parents of a new baby boy.
Around the country:
- Houston: Houston police have issued an Amber Alert and are asking for the public's help finding a 4-year-old girl. Read more.
- Mississippi: Police in Mississippi are looking for a gunman who approached a uniformed officer outside a Biloxi police station and shot him dead. Read more.
- Illinois: Three men believed to have been trapped in a massive explosion at an Illinois industrial plant warned others to leave the building before the blast, officials believe. Read more.
- Delaware: Police in Delaware arrested a man accused of posing as a ride-share driver to lure a woman into his car and sexually assault her at her knifepoint. Read more.
UN report: Humans accelerating extinction of species
People are putting nature in more trouble now than at any other time in human history, with extinction looming over 1 million species of plants and animals, scientists said Monday.
Study shows higher risk of assault for trans teens
Transgender and gender-nonbinary US teens -- those whose sexual identity falls outside the traditional male and female -- are at greater risk of sexual assault at schools that deny them access to bathrooms or locker rooms that match their sexual identity, according to a new study.
Dow falls as trade war jolts investors
The Dow plunged 450 points on Monday morning after President Donald Trump surprised investors by threatening to impose higher tariffs on China in a late Sunday tweet. Half an hour into trading, the Dow bounced back from its initial low, and was some 320 points lower.
Trump threatens tariff increase on China
The threat to raise taxes on virtually all of China's exports to the United States — made in a tweet on Sunday — comes days before the two sides are scheduled to meet for a new round of trade talks in Washington.
More POLITICS headlines:
- Michael Cohen to report to prison
- House panel seeks to hold Barr in contempt
- Sanders announces rural America plan that targets corporate farms
- Pompeo says Maduro can't 'be part of Venezuela's future'
- US deploying carrier, bomber task force in response to Iran actions
Owner of disqualified Kentucky Derby winner appeals
Maximum Security, the horse that made history by being disqualified from Saturday's Kentucky Derby for a rules infraction, will not run in the Preakness Stakes, the next leg of racing's Triple Crown, his owner said in an interview with NBC on Monday.
More ENTERTAINMENT headlines:
- CBS News shakes up morning, evening lineups
- Madonna announces her 'Madame X' tour
- 46th annual Daytime Emmy Awards: Winners list
Copyright 2019 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.