Message from Kim DeGiulio: Is it finally spring? It sure does seem like it! Im ready to get out on the patio and grill up some burgers and those spring/summer veggies. Speaking of veggies, tomorrow at 5:55am, I'm sautéing up some veggies for this weeks back to basics segment. Chef Steve is back with me in the kitchen to teach me the right way to cook up a stir fry without making your veggies soggy. I'm also excited about the weather so I can get outside and run! I just signed up for the Detroit Free Press Half Marathon. Time to start training! I ran it a few years ago so I figured, why not try it again? I'm the type of person who likes to run outside when it's in the mid 70s so according to Brandon's upcoming forecast, it's time for me to get outside and get to it! See you when you wake up!
Here's what's coming up Thursday, May 16th, 2019 on Local 4 News Today.
- Watch beginning at 4:30 a.m.
All Morning -- Weather & Traffic
Brandon: We will see some sunshine Thursday blending with more cloud cover, but it's enough sun to warm us into the low or mid 70s and mostly dry most of the day. Rain and scattered thundershowers move in after dinner and maybe after sunset and showers will come and go into the overnight. Friday we could see more rain. I'll track it for you all morning.
Kim DeGiulio will also be monitoring the roads all morning.
All Morning -- The Trade War
President Trump's trade war with China continues to heat up. Mr. Trump could add another $300 billion in tariffs and money experts say it could have a big impact on the economy. We'll look at the impact at the stock market and the U.S. economy.
Catch up on the trade war here --
5:55 a.m. -- Back to Basics: Cooking Veggies
This week for Back to Basics, we're learning the right way to sautee veggies. What's the best way to savor the flavor and not end up with a bunch of mushy veggies? We've got you covered
Check out Kim's other lessons here --
6:30 a.m. -- Help Me Hank: Travel
Thinking of taking a trip? The travel experts are revealing the hot travel destinations and the best deals.
Consumer Investigator Hank Winchester has you covered befroe you book your next trip.
Today's Trivia Retake
Every morning at 6 a.m., we ask you a trivia question on Local 4 for a chance to win a prize.
- Wednesday's question: Wednesday was National Chocolate Chop Day. Who is credited with creating the chocolate chips?
- Answer: Ruth Graves Wakefield of the original Toll House Inn
- Be sure to watch daily at 6 a.m. and click this link to enter for a chance to win.
Take the R.E.M. challenge
National Days: May 16th
- Honor Our LGBT Elders Day
- National Do Something Good for Your Neighbor Day
- National Love a Tree Day
- National Piercing Day
- National Sea Monkey Day
- National Biographer's Day
- National Coquilles Saint Jacques Day
A Look Back at History: May 16th
- In 1920, Joan of Arc was canonized by Pope Benedict XV.
- In 1939, the federal government began its first food stamp program in Rochester, New York.
- In 1988, the U.S. Supreme Court, in California v. Greenwood, ruled that police could search discarded garbage without a search warrant.
- In 1991, Queen Elizabeth II became the first British monarch to address the United States Congress as she lauded U.S.-British cooperation in the Persian Gulf War.
- In 2014, President Barack Obama named a temporary chief for the scandal-marred Internal Revenue Service and pressed Congress to approve new security money to prevent another Benghazi-style terrorist attack.
- In 2018, The White House issued a furious denial after a report that President Donald Trump personally appealed to FBI Director James Comey to abandon the bureau's investigation into National Security Adviser Michael Flynn.
Celebrity Birthdays: May 16th
Celebrating a birthday Thursday? Submit a Sunshine Award here and we could say your name on Local 4 News Today during our 5 a.m. show.
Here's who you're sharing a birthday with --
- Jazz drummer Billy Cobham is 75.
- Actor Danny Trejo is 75.
- Actor Pierce Brosnan is 66.
- Actress Debra Winger is 64.
- Actress Mare Winningham is 60.
- Violinist Boyd Tinsley of The Dave Matthews Band is 55.
- Bassist Krist Novoselic (Nirvana) is 54.
- Singer Janet Jackson is 53.
- Actor-singer Scott Reeves ("Nashville," ''General Hospital") is 53.
- Actor Brian F. O'Byrne ("Million Dollar Baby") is 52.
- Singer Ralph Tresvant is 51.
- Actor David Boreanaz ("Bones," ''Buffy the Vampire Slayer") is 50.
- Political correspondent Tucker Carlson is 50.
- Actress Tracey Gold ("Growing Pains") is 50.
- TV personality Bill Rancic ("America Now," ''The Apprentice") is 48.
- Country singer Rick Trevino is 48.
- Actor Khary Payton ("The Walking Dead") is 47.
- Rapper Special Ed is 47.
- Actress Tori Spelling is 46.
- Actor Sean Carrigan ("The Young and the Restless") is 45.
- Rapper B. Slade (A.K.A. Tonex) is 44.
- Actress Melanie Lynskey ("Two and a Half Men") is 42.
- Actor Joseph Morgan ("The Originals," ''Vampire Diaries") is 38.
- DJ Alex Pall of The Chainsmokers is 34.
- Actress Megan Fox ("Transformers") is 33.
- Actor Drew Roy ("Falling Skies," ''Hannah Montana") is 33.
- Actor Jermaine Fowler ("Superior Donuts") is 31.
- Actor Thomas Brodie-Sangster ("Game of Thrones") is 29.
- Actor Marc John Jefferies ("The Tracy Morgan Show") is 29.
- Actor Miles Heizer ("13 Reasons Why," ''Parenthood") is 25.