ClickOnDetroit National Report -- Friday, May 31, 2019
R. Kelly faces new charges
An Illinois grand jury has indicted entertainer R. Kelly on 11 new charges in his sexual assault and sexual abuse case, including four new felonies with maximum penalties of 30 years in prison, according to court documents released Thursday.
Around the country:
- New Hampshire: New Hampshire repealed the death penalty on Thursday after the state legislature voted to override a veto from GOP Gov. Chris Sununu. Read more.
- Arkansas: The vicious weather that wrecked parts of Missouri and the Midwest is headed east, but for Arkansas, which has already faced tornadoes and deadly flooding this week, it appears the disaster is only beginning to unfold. Read more.
- Connecticut: Police in Connecticut are looking for a 50-year-old mother of five who has been missing for almost a week. Read more.
- Washington: A rockfall came through a climbers' camp this week on Washington's Mount Rainier, killing one person and injuring two others, a park spokesman said. Read more.
- New York City: Police in New York City have made an arrest in the case of the overdose death of a 1-year-old boy: his mother. Read more.
New Jersey sues Sackler family
The New Jersey attorney general's office filed a lawsuit against members of the billionaire family behind pharmaceutical giant Purdue Pharma, alleging that the company's marketing strategies overstated the benefits of their opioid drugs while also minimizing the health risks and downplaying their potential for addiction.
CDC: US measles at highest number since '92
There have been 971 cases of measles reported in the United States this year, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Thursday. This means 2019, which is not quite half over, now has the greatest number of cases in a single year in nearly three decades.
Trump threatens Mexico with tariffs
President Donald Trump threatened on Thursday to impose new tariffs on Mexico if the country does not step up its immigration enforcement actions, combining his boiling border-related frustrations with his preferred method of punishing foreign countries.
More POLITICS headlines:
- Here's one thing Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Ted Cruz agree on
- Trump takes aim at insurers and hospitals over health care costs
- Trump considers new rule to dramatically limit asylum eligibility
- Judge: No defense spending on border wall while on appeal
- Disaster aid bill blocked in House again after GOP objection
- Challengers of census citizenship question cite new evidence
- Jussie Smollett prosecutors closed investigation weeks before dismissing case
- High school grad says principal's graduation speech plagiarized Ashton Kutcher
- Judge orders bar to produce surveillance footage in Kevin Spacey sex abuse case
- Ilana Glazer latest to pull project from Georgia over abortion law
Copyright 2019 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.