4 things to watch for -- Friday, July 5th
From the desk of Jason Carr:
Ah, the holiday weekend! The annual whirlwind of yard beer, mosquito slaps, grill smoke, and cracks of gunpowder igniting. It’s a picnic basket filled with hot sun, thundershowers, sticky lawn chairs, and a slick of sunscreen and gasoline atop the lake water. On the avenues some hot rods cruise with their gargantu-engines going chakka-chakka-chakka at the stoplights. Somewhere in the distance a child laughs, while in the foreground, as twilight creeps in, the unmistakable bounce of a basketball is heard and then…swish. One more game? We got time. There’s always time on the western edge of the eastern time zone during daylight saving. Pure Michigan.
Watch beginning at 4:30 a.m.
Here's what's coming up Friday, July 5th, 2019 on Local 4 News Today.
All Morning -- Weather & Traffic
Brandon: Friday is more of the same with low 70s to start, and back in the 90 degree range in the afternoon. There’s a good chance also for showers and storms to blossom with the afternoon heat. We will have heat indices in the mid 90s and a few afternoon thundershowers that will delay some of your outdoor activities briefly here and there. More showers with and along a cool front overnight into early Saturday.
- You can get the full forecast here.
Also, Kim DeGiulio will have up update on construction projects and traffic across town.
All Morning - Family Fun!
If you're looking to fill the rest of this holiday weekend, we'll highlight some family-friendly events happening around Metro Detroit. Plus the big event bringing in professional athletes from all over.
6:10 a.m. -- Fitness Friday
It's great for your upper body. It also takes a lot of focus. Kim DeGiulio is back at Planet Rock in Ann Arbor for rock climbing. But this time, she's doing climbing without the safety harness (it's not as dangerous as you think).
6:45 a.m. -- Your Neighborhood
Evrod puts the spotlight on a local organizations that is helping people and families who have been touched by cancer.
- Fireworks sold in Michigan recalled
- Taco Bell's tortilla shortage
- Denver unveils controversial plan to stop geese from pooping everywhere
- Michigan's pot agency issues rules on sales, growing
Today's Trivia Retake
Every morning at 6 a.m., we ask you a trivia question on Local 4 for a chance to win a prize.
- Thursday Question: 1776 was when the USA declared it's independence but what year did we officially escape British rule?
- Answer: 1783, the end of the Revolutionary War
- Be sure to watch daily at 6 a.m. and click this link to enter for a chance to win.
National Days: July 5th
- National Apple Turnover Day
- National Graham Cracker Day
- National Hawaii Day
- National Bikini Day
A Look Back at History: July 5th
- In 1811, Venezuela became the first South American country to declare independence from Spain.
- In 1865, the Secret Service Division of the U.S. Treasury Department was founded in Washington, D.C. with the mission of suppressing counterfeit currency.
- In 1935, President Franklin D. Roosevelt signed the National Labor Relations Act.
- In 1940, during World War II, Britain and the Vichy government in France broke off diplomatic relations.
- In 1954, Elvis Presley’s first commercial recording session took place at Sun Records in Memphis, Tennessee; the song he recorded was “That’s All Right.”
- In 1962, independence took effect in Algeria; the same day, civilians of European descent, mostly French, came under attack by extremists in the port city of Oran.
- In 1984, the Supreme Court weakened the 70-year-old “exclusionary rule,” deciding that evidence seized in good faith with defective court warrants could be used against defendants in criminal trials.
- In 1991, a worldwide financial scandal erupted as regulators in eight countries shut down the Bank of Credit and Commerce International.
- In 2011, a jury in Orlando, Florida, found Casey Anthony, 25, not guilty of murder, manslaughter and child abuse in the 2008 disappearance and death of her 2-year-old daughter, Caylee.
Celebrity Birthdays: July 5th
Celebrating a birthday Friday? Submit a Sunshine Award here and we could say your name on Local 4 News Today during our 5 a.m. show.
Here's who you're sharing a birthday with --
- Actress Shirley Knight is 83.
- Musician Robbie Robertson is 76.
- Singer Huey Lewis is 69.
- Singer Marc Cohn is 60.
- Actor Dorien Wilson (“The Parkers,” ″Sister, Sister”) is 57.
- Actress Edie Falco (“Nurse Jackie,” ″The Sopranos”) is 56.
- Actress Kathryn Erbe (“Law and Order: Criminal Intent”) is 54.
- Rapper RZA is 50.
- Singer Joe is 46.
- Rapper Bizarre of D12 is 43.
- Singer Jason Wade of Lifehouse is 39.
- Musician Dave Haywood of Lady Antebellum is 37.
- Bassist Nick O’Malley of Arctic Monkeys is 34.
- Actor Jason Dolley (“Cory in the House”) is 28.
Get to know the Local 4 News Today team better
Local 4 News Today links
Copyright 2019 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.