4 things to watch for -- Monday, July 29th
Brandon Roux: If you watch Local 4 News Today in the mornings, or you know me, you know that I have no problem sharing my age, my life, and my passions. One of my greatest passions is music and I’d like to take you back to my life in the early 1990s. I was a college kid, the hairspray rock metal was overtaken unbegrudgingly by grunge music, and the Cubs had still not won the World Series in like… forever. In my musical prowess, I heard about a little hippie band from New York called, ‘The Spin Doctors.’ I was instantly hooked. This was at least a year, maybe two before they had a 5 x’s platinum record running wild all over your radio dial. Before songs like, ‘Two Princess’ and ‘Little Miss Can’t Be Wrong,’ there were songs from other live albums and Eps I was listening to and it was a different and bluesy band. Do yourself a favor and look up Spin Doctors songs like, ‘Freeway Of The Plains, Rosetta Stone, Sweet Widow, and Shinbone Alley.’ These are the songs they played when I saw them at a little dive bar in Evanston, Illinois in 1991. Their ‘Pocket Full of Kryptonite’ album was soon to be huge and likely had an impact on this group of musicians playing small clubs, not selling out stadiums. When I first saw them, the band members were wearing raggedy clothes, hadn’t showered or shaved in days, and the soul in their music oozed out of their every pore.
Why do I bring up the Spin Doctors in my young adult life? The band played Friday night (7/26) at the St. Clair Riverfest with Soul Asylum. Did I hear some of my old favorites? Or, was it a live show playing only their hits? Either way, it will be a first for me… seeing a band performing live on a barge on a river. I will let you know Monday morning on Local 4 News Today, plus whether or not I rush the barge and stage dive… right into the river. Hah! I’m too old for that anymore right?
Watch beginning at 4:30 a.m.
Here's what's coming up Monday, July 29th, 2019 on Local 4 News Today.
All Morning -- Free Lawn Watering?
We have a very good chance for a free lawn watering on Monday afternoon and evening with showers and storms moving in. Stay tuned!
- You can get the full forecast here.
Also, our Kim DeGiulio will help you get around any potential trouble on the roads all morning.
- Check traffic conditions in your neighborhood here.
All Morning - Preparing for the Candidates
We're all really looking forward to this. The Democratic presidential candidates are heading to the Fox Theatre on Tuesday and Wednesday for their second debate. We plan to bring you the best coverage in town with several members of our team covering this for you. Our Nick Monacelli will be in the post-debate room, talking with candidates and working all night to make sure we bring you the most comprehensive stories on the debates. Jason Carr will also focus his 9 a.m. digital show on the debate. You won't want to miss that!
On Monday, we'll get you up to speed on what's in the works for the 2-day event.
- CNN releases lineup for Democratic presidential primary debates in Detroit
- How will 2nd Democratic debates in Detroit compare to 1st in Miami?
5:45 a.m. -- Taking Off: Painted Creek
We recently launched a new segment Monday called "Taking Off." If you don't have a ton of time to spare, we've got you covered. We're searching for places where you can spend around 4 hours and feel like you're on a vacation. For our first segment, our Kim DeGiulio visited Greenfield Village in Dearborn. You can watch that here.
On Monday, she's headed to Painted Creek!
6:10 -- Money Monday: Saving Our Seniors
Health insurance can be very confusion for any age. On Monday, Local 4 Business Editor Rod Meloni will discuss a program for Americans 65 and older to help with health insurance.
- Big Family of Michigan helps abandoned children across state
- How to be ready and plan for your retirement
- Here is how to spark a campfire
- Here are 3 ice cream sandwiches you have to try this summer!
Today's Trivia Retake
Every morning at 6 a.m., we ask you a trivia question on Local 4 for a chance to win a prize.
- Friday Question: When did the Detroit Lions win their last playoff game?
- Answer: January 5th, 1992
- Be sure to watch daily at 6 a.m. and click this link to enter for a chance to win.
National Days: July 29th
- National Lasagna Day
- National Lipstick Day
- National Chicken Wing Day (We'll show you one local place that's offering a great deal!)
A Look Back at History: July 29th
- In 1890, artist Vincent van Gogh, 37, died of an apparently self-inflicted gunshot wound in Auvers-sur-Oise, France.
- In 1914, transcontinental telephone service in the U.S. became operational with the first test conversation between New York and San Francisco.
- In 1958, President Dwight D. Eisenhower signed the National Aeronautics and Space Act, creating NASA.
- In 1975, President Gerald R. Ford became the first U.S. president to visit the site of the Nazi concentration camp Auschwitz in Poland.
- In 1981, Britain’s Prince Charles married Lady Diana Spencer in a glittering ceremony at St. Paul’s Cathedral in London. (The couple divorced in 1996.)
- In 2004, Sen. John Kerry accepted the Democratic presidential nomination at the party’s convention in Boston with a military salute and the declaration: “I’m John Kerry and I’m reporting for duty.”
- In 2006, the U.S. command announced it was sending 3,700 troops to Baghdad to try to quell sectarian violence sweeping the Iraqi capital.
Celebrity Birthdays: July 29th
Celebrating a birthday Monday? Submit a Sunshine Award here and we could say your name on Local 4 News Today during our 5 a.m. show.
Here's who you're sharing a birthday with --
- Actor David Warner (”Titanic”) is 78.
- Actress Roz Kelly (”Happy Days”) is 77.
- Actor Mike Starr (”Ed,” `’Goodfellas”) is 69.
- Documentary maker Ken Burns is 66.
- TV personality Tim Gunn (”Project Runway”) is 66.
- Country singer Martina McBride is 53.
- Actor Wil Wheaton is 47.
- Singer Wanya Morris of Boyz II Men is 46.
- Actor Stephen Dorff is 46.
- Country singer James Otto is 46.
- Actress Cait Fairbanks (”The Young and The Restless”) is 26.
Get to know the Local 4 News Today team better
Local 4 News Today links
Copyright 2019 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.