4 things to watch for -- Thursday, August 1st
Nick Monacelli: 10 of the 20 democratic presidential hopefuls had their turn on the debate stage at the Fox last night, the remaining ten are tonight.
Immediately following the debate I was posted in the spin room, talking to each candidate about how the debate went, why they should be president, key issues for Michigan and more.
Logistically – it was chaotic. There are nearly 500 journalists here and every single one of them were trying to get those interviews. So let’s just say it was… cozy. Take a look at my behind the scenes pictures – and that’s well before the rest of the journalists piled in.
But, I’ll also admit that it was exhilarating. Watching the process of how these candidates try to differentiate themselves in a crowded field of 20 has been interesting. But so far, no major attacks or fireworks. Let’s see what tonight holds!
Watch beginning at 4:30 a.m.
Here's what's coming up Thursday, August 1st, 2019 on Local 4 News Today.
All Morning -- Perfect Start to August
The perfect weather for the start of August as Thursday starts in the 50s and we ride in the 70s most of the day. We will see more sunshine tomorrow and less humidity and most of SE Lower Michigan will hit highs around 80 degrees Thursday.
- You can get the full forecast here.
Also, our Kim DeGiulio will help you get around any potential trouble on the roads all morning.
- Check traffic conditions in your neighborhood here.
All Morning - Battleground Detroit: Round 2
As Nick mentioned, the first round of Democratic presidential debate is in the history books. Once round two wraps up, we will take you live to Fox Theatre in Detroit for a recap and talk to the experts about who won, what stood out and what's next for the candidates. Jason Carr will also focus his 9 a.m. digital show on the debate.
- Detroit debates: Health care, immigration, gun violence top issues during first night
- Debates in Detroit: Everything you need to know
5:50 a.m. -- Back to Basics: Cooking at Camp
When you're camping, you've got to eat! But, you don't want any wild animals joining you for the meal, right?! Our Kim DeGiulio talks with the camping experts about what's the best to serve for main meals and for snacks.
All Morning -- The Future of the Detroit Tigers
We'll be monitoring the 4:10 p.m. Wednesday MLB trade deadline. Will the Tigers make any major moves and what's the future of the team? We'll update you in the morning.
- Detroit Tigers trade rumors: Dodgers interested in closer Shane Greene
- Detroit Tigers trade rumors: Could Indians trade for Nicholas Castellanos?
- Detroit Tigers trade rumors: Matt Boyd reportedly 'likely to stay put now'
- Tasty Tuesday: Iced Fusion Nutrition
- 10 best burgers in Metro Detroit in 2019
- Snickers joins push to move Halloween to last Saturday of October, offers free candy
- Kroger now charging fee for card users who want cash back
Today's Trivia Retake
Every morning at 6 a.m., we ask you a trivia question on Local 4 for a chance to win a prize.
- Wednesday Question: When was the last presidential debate held in Detroit?
- Answer: March, 2016
- Be sure to watch daily at 6 a.m. and click this link to enter for a chance to win.
National Days: August 1st
- National Mahjong Day
- National Raspberry Cream Pie Day
- National Girlfriends Day
- National Minority Donor Awareness Day
- Respect for Parents Day
- National IPA Day
A Look Back at History: August 1st
- In 1876, Colorado was admitted as the 38th state.
- In 1907, the U.S. Army Signal Corps established an aeronautical division, the forerunner of the U.S. Air Force.
- In 1911, Harriet Quimby became the first woman to receive a U.S. pilot’s certificate from the Aero Club of America. (Quimby’s accomplishments included being the first woman to fly across the English Channel; she was killed in an accident in July 1912 at age 37.)
- In 1936, the Olympics opened in Berlin with a ceremony presided over by Adolf Hitler.
- In 1957, the United States and Canada announced they had agreed to create the North American Air Defense Command (NORAD).
- In 1981, the rock music video channel MTV made its debut.
- In 1994, Michael Jackson and Lisa Marie Presley confirmed they’d been secretly married 11 weeks earlier. (Presley filed for divorce from Jackson in Jan. 1996, citing irreconcilable differences.)
Celebrity Birthdays: August 1st
Celebrating a birthday Thursday? Submit a Sunshine Award here and we could say your name on Local 4 News Today during our 5 a.m. show.
Here's who you're sharing a birthday with --
- Singer Ramblin’ Jack Elliott is 88.
- Blues musician Robert Cray is 66.
- Singer Michael Penn is 61.
- Singer Joe Elliott of Def Leppard is 60.
- Rapper Chuck D of Public Enemy is 59.
- Rapper Coolio is 56.
- Singer Adam Duritz of Counting Crows is 55.
- Country singer George Ducas is 53.
- Actress Jennifer Gareis (”The Bold and the Beautiful”) is 49.
- Actress Tempestt Bledsoe (”The Cosby Show”) is 46.
- Actor Jason Momoa (”Game of Thrones”) is 40.
- Singer Ashley Parker Angel (O-Town) is 38.
- Actor Elijah Kelley (2007’s “Hairspray”) is 33.
- Actor James Francis Kelly (”Rocky Balboa”) is 30.
Get to know the Local 4 News Today team better
Local 4 News Today links
Copyright 2019 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.