N.J. will allow terminally ill to end their lives
Terminally ill adults in New Jersey will now be able to ask for medical help to end their lives. In April, Gov. Phil Murphy signed the Medical Aid in Dying for the Terminally Ill Act. It goes into effect Thursday.
Around the country:
- Ohio: Five Columbus, Ohio, police officers face disciplinary measures in connection with the July 2018 arrest of Stormy Daniels at a local club, police said Wednesday. Read more.
- Texas: Residents were urged to shelter in place for several hours after an explosion and fire broke out Wednesday at a massive ExxonMobil plant in Texas, officials said. Read more.
- Kentucky: A gas explosion rocked a Kentucky community Thursday morning, leaving one person dead and lighting at least six homes on fire, according to local authorities. Read more.
- Philadelphia: A Pennsylvania man who spent 21 years behind bars for murder was freed Wednesday after the star witness in the case confessed to the killing. Read more.
- Nevada: Police found extremist material during a search of a Nevada home they believe the Gilroy Garlic Festival shooter once rented, according to law enforcement source familiar with the investigation. Read more.
Impossible Whopper goes nationwide at Burger King
Burger King will begin selling the plant-based Impossible Whopper nationwide next week after a successful run in six regions.
Takeaways from the Democratic debate's second night
The second night in Detroit featured the most bitter exchanges of the 2020 primary race yet, with former Obama administration colleagues unloading on each other over immigration, Sen. Cory Booker of New Jersey blasting Biden's record on criminal justice and New York Mayor Bill de Blasio facing criticism from both protesters and Democratic rivals for not yet having fired the police officer who was accused of fatally choking Eric Garner.
More POLITICS headlines:
- Fact check: CNN's Democratic debate, night 2
- US believes Osama bin Laden's son is dead
- Bernie Sanders raises $1.1M following debate
- Ben Carson stands by Trump's depiction of Baltimore
- GOP senator introduces bill to combat 'social media addiction'
- A$AP Rocky says he was 'scared' in assault trial testimony
- What's new on Netflix, Hulu, HBO in August 2019
- Mario Lopez apologizes for 'ignorant' comments about kids' gender identity
- Woodstock 50 festival canceled
- Rare first edition Harry Potter book sells for $34,500 at auction