Detroit neighborhood wants house at center of serial killer investigation torn down
DETROIT – Ground zero for Detroit's serial killer investigation is a home located near the intersection of Mack Avenue and Mount Elliot Street.
The vacant home is where Tammy Jones was killed. Police believe Deangelo Martin used the home as a base to attack women in the area.
The house is owned by the city of Detroit. Since Jones' body was found, the house was boarded up. Now it's becoming an unwanted neighborhood attraction.
Local 4 watched as people who knew and loved Jones wrote messages of love and artwork on the house.
The community is now debating about the future of the house. People who knew the victims want the house torn down, not used as an art project. Others said they see meaning of what's being said at the house.
Martin facing charges
- Martin is accused of kidnapping, strangling and assaulting a 51-year-old Detroit woman. He was charged with kidnapping, assault with intent to do great bodily harm by strangulation and criminal sexual conduct -- assault with intent to commit sexual penetration. Read more here.
- He has been charged in connection with the alleged rape and stabbing of a 26-year-old woman. He was charged with assault with intent to murder and four counts of criminal sexual assault in that case. Read more here.
Possible serial killer victims
- Nancy Harrison - Body discovered March 19 on Coventry Street -- she is considered the first victim.
- Travesene Ellis - Body discovered May 24 on Linnhurst Street -- she is considered the second victim.
- Tamara M. Jones, who was found in a vacant house on Mack Avenue Wednesday, June 5.
- Anyone with information needs to contact police at 313-596-2260.
- Deborah Reynolds was last seen with Martin in August. Human remains were discovered Dec. 22, 2018, inside an abandoned home, and police are awaiting DNA tests to confirm if the remains belong to Reynolds. Read more here.
- Police are investigating to determine if the death of Annetta Nelson is connected to the serial killings. The 58-year-old mother of two was found dead on Detroit's west side. Read more here.
- Suspect in Detroit serial killer case charged in sexual assault of second woman
- Detroit serial killer suspect will go to trial in unrelated sex assault case
- Suspect in Detroit serial killer case due in court on sexual assault charges
- Mom of suspected Detroit serial killer writes letter from behind bars
- Police investigate if suspected Detroit serial killer is linked to unsolved murders around country
- Detroit serial killer investigation: What we know about the search for victims
- Hairbrush could link missing woman to Detroit serial killer case
- Detroit serial killer case draws attention to vacant homes
- Vigil to be held Saturday night for victim of Detroit serial killer
- Residents want city-owned home connected to Detroit serial killer case demolished
- Detroit serial killer case: Macomb County mother shares details of daughter's attack
- Community on Detroit's east side remains on high alert over serial killer
- Person of interest in Detroit serial killer case charged with sexually assaulting woman
- Serial killer suspect charged in east side stabbing and sexual assault
- Missing woman last seen with person of interest in Detroit serial killer investigation
- What we know about a possible serial killer case after multiple women found dead in Detroit
- Detroit police arrest person of interest in possible serial killer case
- Detroit police search for victims in vacant homes as hunt for possible serial killer continues
- Police provide update on Detroit serial killer case
- Detroit police working to identify 3rd victim in possible serial killer case
- Volunteers search for evidence against Detroit serial killer
- Murdered woman's daughter knows suspect in Detroit serial killer case
- Community working to protect women from potential serial killer in Detroit
- 'My sister didn't deserve this:' Family of woman slain by potential Detroit serial killer speak out
- Women patrol Detroit streets in search for suspected serial killer
- Detroit police link deaths of 3 women to possible serial killer targeting sex workers
- Detroit police believe serial killer is targeting sex workers on city's east side
- Detroit police look for possible serial killer targeting sex workers
- What we know: Detroit police investigating potential serial killer, rapist targeting sex workers
Copyright 2019 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.