Brandon Roux: Many of us in the TV News business have traveled the country working our way up in market size trying to find the place where we fit the best. I’ve been doing this for 21 years now, and it all started in Boise, Idaho which is as spectacular a place to live as you might think it is. Next was Las Vegas, Nevada but c’mon… not the place to be a weatherman. We did have our first born in the desert and it snowed 4” in Las Vegas the day Christian was born back in 2003. He must be a weatherman’s son. I then had jobs in Minneapolis, Columbus, and now here in Detroit. Detroit is the longest (by far) that we’ve lived anywhere.
Today is my daughter’s 13th birthday. I am, and will always be proud to say that she has pretty much grown up here in Pure Michigan. I started at WDIV in June, 2010 and my daughter was almost 4 years old. It’s tough, kind of like the military, to move your family all over the country. They worked hard to make friends, were forced to leave those friends, start at new schools, and try to make new friends all over again. I’ve seen my daughter, Gianna, grow into a very smart, interesting, and loving young lady. She absolutely adores animals and wanted to be a veterinarian which is a Michigan State University specialty. Now, she’s not so sure what she want to do and I guess that’s normal as it will likely change a few more times. She loves Harry Potter and we did a themed scavenger hunt with her friends because her birthday is so close to Harry’s. Harry Potter would have been 39 years old 7/31/19. God rest his character’s soul????
My daughter, like her dad, loves music and one of my favorite things to do with her is drive around and take turns listening to songs that mean a lot to us individually and in a daddy/daughter kind of way. She plays the ukulele and sings and it makes me so happy to hear her working on tunes in her bedroom. It’s what growing up is all about and I am thrilled she’s doing it here amongst the greatest people in the world in Pure Michigan. Happy luck 13th Gianna Hazel Roux. I love you more!!!!!
Watch beginning at 4:30 a.m.
Here's what's coming up Monday, August 5th, 2019 on Local 4 News Today.
All Morning -- ☀️ Water The Lawn
Monday and most of Tuesday look mostly dry so we have to do our own lawn and garden watering into early next week. There will be a much better chance for showers and storms late Tuesday into Wednesday and Thursday of next week. We will keep you posted on the latest on wet weather chances next week.
- Get the full forecast here.
All Morning -- 🚧 Roads Recap
What weekend it's been. Road closures, impacting thousands of drivers across Metro Detroit. I-94, I-696 and more, all blocked off by orange barrels. Thankfully, they'll move Monday, but what's next? Our Kim DeGiulio is monitoring the roads so you know before you go.
- Check traffic conditions in your neighborhood here.
- I-75 construction in Oakland County: What to know about Segment 3
6:10 a.m. -- 👨⚕️ Money Monday: Medicare Basics
Our summer of supporting our seniors continues. Local 4 Business Editor Rod Meloni gives us a class in Medicare Basics. What does it cover? How much will it cost you? He'll have all the answers.
6:40 a.m. -- 📱 🏘️ Tech in Your Home
Whether it's a new home or the college dorm, it might be time to get some new tech for your home. From digital assistants to routers and security and entertainment, it can all be a little overwhelming, but we've got you covered. The experts explain new tech that could make your life easier and also, how you can get year-round help on all those devices for not a ton of cash.
- Kids on the Go provides free therapy for Metro Detroit children with special needs
- America has a new favorite fast food restaurant -- and it doesn't even involve burgers
- Filed a claim with Equifax? FTC warns you won't get the full $125 originally estimated
- 10 best places to eat wings in Metro Detroit in 2019
🍺 Today's Trivia Retake
Every morning at 6 a.m., we ask you a trivia question on Local 4 for a chance to win a prize.
- Friday Question: Founded in Detroit in 1850, what was the first stle of beer Stroh's brewed?
- Answer: Bohemian-style pilsner
- Be sure to watch daily at 6 a.m. and click this link to enter for a chance to win.
🦕 Today's Quiz 🦖
📅 National Days: August 5th
- National Underwear Day
- National Work Like A Dog Day
- National Oyster Day
🗓️ History Highlights: August 5th
- In 1933, President Franklin D. Roosevelt established the National Labor Board, which was later replaced with the National Labor Relations Board.
- In 1936, Jesse Owens of the United States won the 200-meter dash at the Berlin Olympics, collecting the third of his four gold medals.
- In 1957, the teenage dance show “American Bandstand,” hosted by Dick Clark, made its network debut on ABC-TV.
- In 1962, actress Marilyn Monroe, 36, was found dead in her Los Angeles home; her death was ruled a probable suicide from “acute barbiturate poisoning.”
- In 1967, the U.S. space probe Mariner 7 flew by Mars, sending back photographs and scientific data.
- In 1974, the White House released transcripts of subpoenaed tape recordings showing that President Richard Nixon and his chief of staff, H.R. Haldeman, had discussed a plan in June 1972 to use the CIA to thwart the FBI’s Watergate investigation; revelation of the tape sparked Nixon’s resignation.
- In 1981, the federal government began firing air traffic controllers who had gone out on strike.
🎂 Celebrity Birthdays: August 5th
Celebrating a birthday Monday? Submit a Sunshine Award here and we could say your name on Local 4 News Today during our 5 a.m. show.
Here's who you're sharing a birthday with --
- Actress Loni Anderson is 74.
- Actress Erica Slezak (”One Life to Live”) is 73.
- Singer Rick Derringer is 72.
- Actress Maureen McCormick (”The Brady Bunch”) is 63.
- Guitarist Pat Smear of Foo Fighters is 60.
- Country fiddler Mark O’Connor is 58.
- Actor Mark Strong (”The Imitation Game”) is 56.
- Director James Gunn (”Guardians of the Galaxy”) is 53.
- Actor Jonathan Silverman (”The Single Guy”) is 53.
- Country singer Terri Clark is 51.