👋 Welcome to Sunday! This stunning photo was taken in Ypsilanti. kenscoolpics60/pins
We hope you are enjoying the weekend! It's the first Sunday of the month and it'll mostly be a great weather day. There is a chance for showers, but mostly in our South Zone, near the Michigan-Ohio border.
Still waiting on that rain for your lawn? Better chances coming next week.
Check the latest forecast at ClickOnDetroit.com/WeatherCenter.
There are two big freeway closures you need to know about this weekend, from Friday night to Monday morning:
- Stretch of EB I-696 closing in Macomb County for roadwork this weekend
- Eastbound I-94 to close this weekend in Detroit for road, bridge work
Always check the live Traffic Map here.
Here's a look ahead at what's happening this week:
Michigan Primary Election held on Tuesday
It's not a major election year in Michigan, but that doesn't mean there aren't important races on the ballot. Aug. 6 is primary election day in the state, with a few races to watch in Metro Detroit, including Warren and Livonia races for mayor. You'll be able to track results here on Tuesday and Wednesday.
Public viewing for L. Brooks Patterson
Oakland County Executive L. Brooks Patterson died Saturday morning of pancreatic cancer at the age of 80. Officials with Oakland County released information on Patterson's visitation and funeral arrangements.
Learning more about 2 mass shootings this weekend
Two different mass shooting events have shaken communities around the country this weekend. In El Paso, Texas, 20 people were killed in what the FBI is calling a possible hate crime. In Dayton, Ohio, nine people enjoying their Saturday night were killed in a busy downtown area. We'll be following the latest on these tragic events as information becomes available.
Detroit Lions open preseason against New England
Can you believe it's almost football season already? Your beloved Lions opened training camp on July 24 and they will take the field for the first time on Thursday, taking on the New England Patriots in the preseason opener. Here's a look at who to keep an eye on.
- Gary Clark Jr. at Meadow Brook Amphitheatre 🎸
- Brighton Main Street Wine Art Music Festival 🍷
- Dearborn Homecoming Festival at Ford Field Park 🎉
- Kirk Franklin: The Long Live Love Tour at the Fox Theatre 🎶
- Ann Arbor Pride 2019 in the Kerrytown District 🏳️🌈
🗓️ Here's what's on the extended calendar:
- Aug. 7 -- Vice President Pence speaks at Detroit Economic Club
- Aug. 17 -- ⚔️♞ Renaissance Festival begins!
- Aug. 17 -- Woodward Dream Cruise 🚗
- Aug. 29 -- Michigan State Fair begins 🎡
- Aug. 30 -- Arts, Beats and Eats weekend 🖼️ 🎶 🍔
- Aug. 30 -- Detroit Jazz Festival kicks off 🎷
Check the Live Guide calendar for more local events, and post your own.
📷 Today's Featured Photo: This stunning sunset photo was taken in Ypsilanti. kenscoolpics60/pins
Submit your photo:
Send us a News Tip here.