4 things to watch for -- Thursday, August 8th
Kim DeGiulio: Hope you are all having a great week. I don’t know about you guys but I am trying to hold onto every second of this summer. It seems like every night I’m outside enjoying the summer temperatures. I did yoga in Capital Park earlier this week then last night I had my volleyball league at Beacon park. Thursday I’m planning on going to the Tigers game! Not a bad week, right? I know that when winter hits I’ll know that I took full advantage of summer in the D!
Have you been downtown this week? If you have, you may have seen firefighters out and about holding a fireman’s boot asking for donations. It’s all a part of their ‘Fill the Boot’ campaign. They’re raising money to defeat muscular dystrophy. I did a story on it earlier this week. I fell in love with the little girl I interviewed. Check out my story and please donate if you have the chance!
My family is gearing up for a weekend in Chicago for my cousins wedding. I’m excited to visit the Windy City. I love it there. We’re also celebrating my grandparents 70th wedding anniversary this weekend! Lots to celebrate! Have a great Wednesday, everyone. See you tomorrow!
Watch beginning at 4:30 a.m.
Here's what's coming up Thursday, August 8th, 2019 on Local 4 News Today.
All Morning -- The Day Gets Brighter
Another cool front passes through tomorrow morning, and we will see morning showers and storms across SE Lower Michigan and Southern Ontario between 4am and 8am as that front moves in. The day gets gradually brighter and less muggy. But it may be late afternoon before we feel that comfy air sliding into our area. It should be great sleeping weather heading into Friday and through your weekend ahead.
Friday looks brilliant with sunshine and mostly 70s with a few neighborhoods in the low 80s to end the work week.
- Get the full forecast here.
Our Kim DeGiulio will also be monitoring the roads so you know before you go.
- Check traffic conditions in your neighborhood here.
All Morning -- Football Time!
The Detroit Lions will play their first preseason game Thursday against the New England Patriots. We'll preview the preseason kickoff and look ahead to what the team faces this season. We want to hear your predictions, too!
5:55 -- Back to Basics: Camping
Camping can quickly go south if you're wearing the wrong clothing. The bugs, the elements and the unexpected. Our Kim DeGiulio helps you prepare for your next camping trip with some help from the experts.
6:45 a.m. -- Help Me Hank: Scam Alert
Beware! An old scam is rearing its ugly head again. Help Me Hank explains how you can avoid this money order scam before it drains your finances.
- Tasty Tuesday: Comfort Cafe Food Truck
- Who is Ed? Mystery message uncovered at Joe Louis Arena
- Pizza Hut to close hundreds of dine-in restaurants
- View here: Election results for Michigan Primary on Aug. 6, 2019
Today's Trivia Retake
Every morning at 6 a.m., we ask you a trivia question on Local 4 for a chance to win a prize.
- Wednesday Question: Who was the only U.S. president to get a Purple Heart?
- Answer: John F. Kennedy
- Be sure to watch daily at 6 a.m. and click this link to enter for a chance to win.
National Days: August 8th
- National CBD Day
- National Happiness Happens Day
- National Frozen Custard Day
- National Sneak Some Zucchini Into Your Neighbor's Porch Day
- National Dollar Day
History Highlights: August 8th
- In 1953, the United States and South Korea initialed a mutual security pact.
- In 1968, the Republican national convention in Miami Beach nominated Richard Nixon for president on the first ballot.
- In 2000, the wreckage of the Confederate submarine H.L. Hunley, which sank in 1864 after attacking the Union ship Housatonic, was recovered off the South Carolina coast and returned to port.
- In 2002, Saddam Hussein organized a big military parade and then warned “the forces of evil” not to attack Iraq as he sought once more to shift the debate away from world demands that he live up to agreements that ended the Gulf War.
- In 2009, Sonia Sotomayor was sworn in as the U.S. Supreme Court’s first Hispanic and third female justice.
Celebrity Birthdays: August 8th
Celebrating a birthday Thursday? Submit a Sunshine Award here and we could say your name on Local 4 News Today during our 5 a.m. show.
Here's who you're sharing a birthday with --
- Actress Nita Talbot is 89.
- Actor Dustin Hoffman is 82.
- Actor Larry Wilcox (”CHiPS”) is 72.
- Actor Donny Most (”Happy Days”) is 66.
- Guitarist The Edge of U2 is 58.
- Singer Scott Stapp of Creed is 46.
- Country singer Mark Wills is 46.
- Singer J.C. Chasez of `N Sync is 43.
- Singer Drew Lachey of 98 Degrees is 43.
- Actress Countess Vaughn (”The Parkers,” “Moesha”) is 41.
- Singer Shawn Mendes is 21.
Get to know the Local 4 News Today team better
Local 4 News Today links
Copyright 2019 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.