A stunning sunset over Detroit from Belle Isle. Just glorious. 📷 @kaushik0805/Instagram
Just like that, it's Friday! A little bit of an August cool down is in store today and even through the weekend. Humidity is down, finally, and things will be very comfortable. Great sleeping weather! 💤
Check the latest forecast at ClickOnDetroit.com/WeatherCenter.
Two big freeway closures this weekend that will look just like last weekend:
- WB I-94 from I-96 to Michigan Ave closed for construction starting Friday night, lasting through the weekend.
- EB I-696 from I-75 to I-94 closed for construction starting Friday night, lasting through the weekend.
- M-1 (Woodward Avenue) closing for City of Pontiac event this weekend in Oakland County. Northbound and southbound M-1 will be closed between Martin Luther King, Jr. (MLK) Boulevard and Orchard Lake Road/Auburn Avenue. Reopening Sunday at 10 a.m.
🚧 BTW: The third segment of the I-75 modernization project in Oakland County is set to begin on Sunday. Here's what to know.
Check the live Traffic Map here.
Kroger looks to fill 500 positions statewide 🍎
This weekend, Kroger's Michigan division is hosting a statewide two-day hiring event as it looks to fill more than 500 positions across Michigan. More info on how to apply here.
Michigan Senior Olympics kick off 🏅
The 40th annual Michigan Senior Olympics will kick off on Friday around Oakland County. The focus is on enhancing the quality of life for the over 50 age group by providing and developing programs in physical fitness, nutrition and enhancing mental strength and sports skills. Learn more here.
Free Flow Festival raises funds for local charities 💗
The third annual Free Flow Festival will showcase emerging local and regional musical acts with a concert event on Friday at St. Andrews Hall. The festival is a non-profit fundraising event with all proceeds benefiting charitable organizations working to fight human trafficking and aide adult female survivors in SE Michigan.
Looking for something to do this weekend in Metro Detroit? Here are some ideas from our weekly guide!
🗓️ Here's what's on the calendar:
- Aug. 12 -- Backstreet Boys at Little Caesars Arena 🕺🏻
- Aug. 13 -- Left Hander's Day
- Aug. 15 -- Boyz II Men at MGM Grand Detroit
- Aug. 16 -- National Tell a Joke Day
- Aug. 17 -- ⚔️♞ Renaissance Festival begins!
- Aug. 17 -- Woodward Dream Cruise 🚗
- Aug. 29 -- Michigan State Fair begins 🎡
- Aug. 30 -- Arts, Beats and Eats weekend 🖼️ 🎶 🍔
- Aug. 30 -- Detroit Jazz Festival kicks off 🎷
Check the Live Guide calendar for more local events, and post your own.
Book Lovers Day 📖
There's nothing like a good book, right? Well, Friday is the perfect day to reintroduce yourself to that book you started but never finished. If you're looking for a cool place to read around Detroit, here are some suggestions.
Shows around town on Friday night:
- Impractical Jokers at DTE Energy Music Theatre at 7 p.m.
- Old Crow Medicine Show at MotorCity Casino Soundboard at 8 p.m.
- The Tubes at The Aretha Franklin Amphitheatre at 8 p.m.
If you haven't gotten in on this Renaissance Festival tickets discount, do it now! Seriously, you can't lose here, and it's a GREAT time over at the festival. It's available for a limited-time -- you can only buy these tickets for a 50% discount through Aug. 17.
Here's a link to learn more about the 2019 Renaissance Festival. This year's festival runs weekends and Labor Day, Aug. 17 to Sept. 29. The fun all happens at 12600 Dixie Hwy, Holly, MI 48442.
Adventure awaits! Purchase your half-off tickets here!
📷 Today's Featured Photo: A stunning sunset over Detroit from Belle Isle. Just glorious. 📷 @kaushik0805/Instagram
Submit your photo:
- Hit us up on Instagram -- @local4news
Send us a News Tip here.