4 things to watch for -- Monday, August 12th
Brandon Roux: The first full week of August was a good one. Did you know that not only was June the warmest around the world on record, but July was the absolute warmest month EVER recorded around the globe. Scientists have been collecting climate data for about 130 years. We, in Metro Detroit, certainly had a warm July, but Europe was plagued by extreme heat, and our southwestern United States has been very very warm at times which is certainly understandable. So as we came into a new month, we went from the warm and muggies in Michigan early this week, to a sharp contrast bringing very dry conditions throughout this weekend and for most of your Monday too.
The Perseid Meteor Shower is peaking right now and it’s probably the best display of shooting stars we see all year. The actual peak is Monday Night or Tuesday early morning but we will have a nearly full moon which limits or dulls our view of these meteors. And, we may have clouds and showers moving through too. So my advice, if you can, go out late tonight and/or early Monday morning (well before sunrise) and see if you can’t see a bunch of these shooting stars No special equipment, or knowledge of the constellations, needed. Find a dark open sky to enjoy the show. An open sky is essential because these meteors fly across the sky in many different directions and in front of numerous constellations. Give yourself at least an hour of observing time, because the meteors in meteor showers come in spurts and are interspersed with lulls. Remember, your eyes can take as long as 20 minutes to adapt to the darkness of night.
One more thing…this past week on Thursday it was 8/8 and as a kid growing up in the suburbs of Chicago it is a special day. Can you believe the first ever night game at Wrigley Field was 8/8/88. Wouldn’t ya know, it stormed that night and they didn’t officially finish the game. Anyway, we’ve got a great week on tap for you on Local 4 News Today. Our Tasty Tuesday theme of ‘Food Truck Month’ continues and wait until you see that lobster roll.
Watch beginning at 4:30 a.m.
Here's what's coming up Monday, August 12th, 2019 on Local 4 News Today.
All Morning -- Dry Start
There’s a good chance for heavy, flooding rain showers and a marginal risk for severe weather all in the forecast for today. The good news is, most of the wet weather will wait until late tonight and overnight which means things will be very sloppy and saturated by this time tomorrow. For your Monday, partly cloudy skies, muggy, and warming into the low and mid 80s this afternoon around Metro Detroit. Highs will feel a few degrees warmer with the heat and humidity, so make sure you stay hydrated if your plans keep you outside today. We may see a few scattered rain and thundershowers this afternoon and evening, but the heaviest stuff comes late, and one model has the potential of 1-3” of new rain coming in mainly during the early to mid morning hours tomorrow. Severe threats will be for later tonight near the Ohio Border in our South Zone. Still, we should all keep an eye to the skies by late afternoon for any isolated trouble makers that may pop with the heat of the day.
- Get the full forecast here.
All Morning -- Orange Barrel Alert
The third segment of the I-75 modernization project in Oakland County is set to begin. Segment 3 of the project will focus on rebuilding the stretch between Eight Mile and 13 Mile roads, which is more than 5 miles long. It'll be with us for several months. Kim DeGiulio will help you prepare for the first morning drive.
- Check traffic conditions in your neighborhood here.
5:45 - Taking Off: Spring Valley Trout Farm
If you love fishing, but don't have the hours and hours to dedicate to it, this place is for you! Kim DeGiulio will take you to a fun place that will make you feel like you're up north, but actually not far away from your own home.
6:45 a.m. -- Chauncey Billups' New Project
Former Detroit Pistons Champion Chauncey Billups is off the court and launching a new project in Detroit. He'll join us live in studio to discuss what he's planning to do in Metro Detroit.
- Help Me Hank: Ford recalling 2020 Explorers, Lincoln Aviators
- Fitness Friday: Weapons 4 Weight Loss
- Ribbons of Hope: Sisters create comfort boxes for people battling diseases
- The new Dora movie and "Otherhood" are coming out--Should you see them?
Today's Trivia Retake
Every morning at 6 a.m., we ask you a trivia question on Local 4 for a chance to win a prize.
- Friday Question: Name the two vice presidents who were never actually elected.
- Answer: Gerald Ford and Nelson Rockefeller
- Be sure to watch daily at 6 a.m. and click this link to enter for a chance to win.
National Days: August 12th
- National Julienne Fries Day
- National Vinyl Record Day
- National Middle Child Day
History Highlights: August 12th
- In 1898, fighting in the Spanish-American War came to an end.
- In 1909, the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, home to the Indianapolis 500, first opened.
- In 1937, President Franklin D. Roosevelt nominated Hugo Black to the U.S. Supreme Court.
- In 1953, the Soviet Union conducted a secret test of its first hydrogen bomb.
- In 1977, the space shuttle Enterprise passed its first solo flight test by taking off atop a Boeing 747, separating, then touching down in California’s Mojave Desert.
- In 2004, New Jersey Gov. James E. McGreevey announced his resignation and acknowledged that he’d had an extramarital affair with another man.
Celebrity Birthdays: August 12th
Celebrating a birthday Monday? Submit a Sunshine Award here and we could say your name on Local 4 News Today during our 5 a.m. show.
Here's who you're sharing a birthday with --
- Actor George Hamilton is 80.
- Actress Jennifer Warren is 78.
- Actor Sam J. Jones (”Flash Gordon”) is 65.
- Rapper Sir Mix-A-Lot is 56.
- Actor Peter Krause (”Parenthood,” ‘’Six Feet Under,” ‘’Sports Night”) is 54.
- Actor Brent Sexton (”The Killing,” ‘’Deadwood”) is 52.
- Actress Yvette Nicole Brown (new “The Odd Couple,” ‘’Community”) is 48.
- Actress Rebecca Gayheart is 48.
- Actor Casey Affleck is 44.
Get to know the Local 4 News Today team better
Local 4 News Today links
Copyright 2019 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.