4 things to watch for -- Thursday, August 22nd
Kim DeGiulio: I can’t believe summer is coming to an end and kids are already getting ready to head back to school. It certainly has been a great summer though. I was able to make it up north a couple of times, my brother and a few of my friends got married, and I’ve had a ton of fun hanging out around downtown Detroit. I’m hopeful that we can keep these warmer temperatures well into September but I will say, I’m really excited for what the fall brings- football games, cider mills, the colors changing, Halloween, Thanksgiving and MY BIRTHDAY!
One thing I will miss about summer is my Tuesday night volleyball league. I’ve been playing with a couple of friends at Beacon Park and it’s been so much fun! We’ve gotten rained on a couple of times but even when that happens it’s still fun. We usually run into Lumen, the restaurant in Beacon Park, to avoid the rain and grab a snack while the storm passes by. Last night we got one game in before the storms came. I’m no pro at volleyball but I can at least serve the ball and get it over most of the time!
The fall also means it’s time for me to run the Detroit Free Press Half Marathon. I’ve been training a lot this summer but it’s been a little tricky to run on days with super hot temps. I try not to run unless it’s below 80 degrees. The perfect running weather for me is about 70 degrees. Based on Brandon’s future forecast, it looks like I’ll be able to get in some good runs toward the end of this week and this weekend!
Have a great day everyone!
Watch beginning at 4:30 a.m.
Here's what's coming up Thursday, August 22nd, 2019 on Local 4 News Today.
All Morning -- Beautiful Stretch of Weather
A beautiful stretch of weather is coming Thursday as most of Metro Detroit will see morning lows dip into the upper 50s under mostly cloudy skies in the morning. The humidity will move out overnight, so with low humidity tomorrow, skies will slowly become mostly sunny through the morning and afternoon as highs only hit the low to mid 70s.
A few spotty showers are possible in our West and North zones as lake winds N 5-12 mph could bring a little lake effect cloud cover and a few sprinkles.
- Get the full forecast here
As summer wraps up, the construction projects continue across Metro Detroit. We've got you covered. Kim DeGiulio will also be tracking traffic conditions.
- Check traffic conditions in your neighborhood here.
5:45 a.m. -- Back to School: Easing into the Routine
One of the hardest parts of going back-to-school is getting your kids back into the routine. That's where we come in! There are some ways that might make your morning routine much easier. We'll talk bedtime, breakfast and expectations.
5:45 a.m. -- Back To Basics: Sailing
With the nice temperatures around, Kim DeGiulio is going sailing on Local 4 news Today! She'll help us learn how to sail with the help of the sailing director from Bayview Yacht Club.
- Check out some of Kim's other Back to Basics segments here.
6:45 a.m. - Help Me Hank: School Sports Spending
Soccer, football, baseball, cheerleading and more. It's easy to be overwhelmed by the cost of school sports. So, Thursday, Help Me Hank has a game-changing budget that can keep the kids in the game and you out of debt.
- Michigan State Police to target 4 areas on Wednesday: What to know
- Business leaders push lawmakers to put plan in place to fix Michigan roads
- Dan Gilbert returns to Detroit to continue recovery following stroke
- Blog: Back-to-school for my kids…and me
Today's Trivia Retake
Every morning at 6 a.m., we ask you a trivia question on Local 4 for a chance to win a prize.
- Wednesday Question: On August 21st, 1959, Hawaii became the 50th state in the USA. Who was the president who signed the executive order to make it happen?
- Answer: Dwight D. Eisenhower
- Be sure to watch daily at 6 a.m. and click this link to enter for a chance to win.
National Days: August 22nd
- National Surgical Oncologist Day
- National Bao Day
- Never Bean Better Day
- National Tooth Fairy Day
- National Pecan Torte Day
History Highl ights: August 22nd
- In 1862, President Abraham Lincoln responded to Horace Greeley’s call for more drastic steps to abolish slavery; Lincoln replied that his priority was saving the Union, but he also repeated his personal wish “that all men everywhere could be free.”
- In 1932, the British Broadcasting Corp. conducted its first experimental television broadcast, using a 30-line mechanical system.
- In 1956, President Dwight D. Eisenhower and Vice President Richard Nixon were nominated for second terms in office by the Republican National Convention in San Francisco.
- In 1986, The Rob Reiner coming-of-age film “Stand By Me” was put into wide release by Columbia Pictures.
- In 1989, Black Panthers co-founder Huey P. Newton was shot to death in Oakland, California. (Gunman Tyrone Robinson was later sentenced to 32 years to life in prison.)
Celebrity Birthdays: August 22nd
Celebrating a birthday Thursday? Submit a Sunshine Award here and we could say your name on Local 4 News Today during our 5 a.m. show.
Here's who you're sharing a birthday with --
- Correspondent Steve Kroft (“60 Minutes”) is 74.
- Actress Cindy Williams (“Laverne and Shirley”) is 72.
- Guitarist Vernon Reid of Living Colour is 61.
- Country singer Collin Raye is 59.
- Singer Roland Orzabal of Tears for Fears is 58.
- Singer Tori Amos is 56.
- Country singer Mila Mason is 56.
- Rapper GZA (Wu-Tang Clan) is 53.
- Actor Ty Burrell (“Modern Family”) is 52.
- Celebrity chef Giada DeLaurentiis is 49.
- Singer Howie Dorough of the Backstreet Boys is 46.
- Comedian Kristen Wiig (“Bridesmaids,” ”Saturday Night Live”) is 46.
- Actress Jenna Leigh Green (“Sabrina the Teenage Witch”) is 45.
- “The Late Late Show” host James Corden is 41.
Get to know the Local 4 News Today team better
Local 4 News Today links
Copyright 2019 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.