4 things to watch for -- Friday, August 23rd
Jason Carr: Kids grow up too fast. It's a truism since ye old times but I swear my daughter was just learning to walk yesterday. Now she's anxious to find out who her third grade teacher is going to be! I mean, summer just started five minutes ago, we haven't even been to Cedar Point yet, and the school year looms ever closer. Can't we slow down this spinning blue marble in the cosmos for a second? Before you know it's gonna be 2020!
Watch beginning at 4:30 a.m.
Here's what's coming up Friday, August 23rd, 2019 on Local 4 News Today.
All Morning -- Pick Weather Day of the Week
Friday is the pick day of the week with morning lows in the 50s and even some 40s in our North Zone and warming into the 70s. We should see a nice balance of sun and clouds, but no rain is expected to end your work or school week, and highs should stick in the mid 70s. We will have morning lows in the 50s or even cooler in some spots all weekend because not only is the air moving in cooler, but it's very dry.
- Get the full forecast here
All Morning -- Weekend Construction
As summer wraps up, the construction projects continue across Metro Detroit. We've got you covered. Kim DeGiulio will also be tracking traffic conditions.
- Check traffic conditions in your neighborhood here.
5:45 a.m. -- Back-to-School: Saving Cash
New clothing, sports, supplies and more. Heading back-to-school can get expensive. There are some changes you can make to your budget that can save you cash. And, experts say there's one thing you should NOT let your kids get. We'll reveal it, Friday morning.
6:45 a.m. -- Your Neighborhood
There are so many good people doing great things around Metro Detroit. Our Evrod Cassimy will go inside the headquarters for a local non-profit that's all about the kids. Evrod will even introduce you to the woman who is leading the organization and explain why she has such a passion for helping kids.
- How team activities can help boost mental health, critical skills
- The Metro Detroit Chevy Dealers' Hydrofest returns
- Detroit Youth Choir sings at airport before leaving for Los Angeles
- Blog: Back-to-school for my kids…and me
Today's Trivia Retake
Every morning at 6 a.m., we ask you a trivia question on Local 4 for a chance to win a prize.
- Thursday Question: How long is the Metro Detroit Hydrofest course?
- Answer: 1.25 miles
- Be sure to watch daily at 6 a.m. and click this link to enter for a chance to win.
National Days: August 23rd
- National Ride The Wind Day
- National Sponge Cake Day
History Highlights: August 23rd
- In 1754, France's King Louis XVI was born at Versailles
- In 1912, actor, dancer, director and choreographer Gene Kelly was born Eugene Curran Kelly in Pittsburgh.
- In 1914, Japan declared war against Germany in World War I.
- In 1939, Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union agreed to a non-aggression treaty, the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact, in Moscow.
- In 1973, a bank robbery-turned-hostage-taking began in Stockholm, Sweden; the four hostages ended up empathizing with their captors, a psychological condition now referred to as "Stockholm Syndrome."
- In 2008: Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama introduced his choice of running mate, Sen. Joe Biden of Delaware, before a crowd outside the Old State Capitol in Springfield, Ill.
Celebrity Birthdays: August 23rd
Celebrating a birthday Thursday? Submit a Sunshine Award here and we could say your name on Local 4 News Today during our 5 a.m. show.
Here's who you're sharing a birthday with --
- Actress Barbara Eden is 88.
- Country singer Rex Allen Jr. is 72.
- Singer Linda Thompson is 72.
- Actor David Robb ("Downton Abbey") is 72.
- Actress Shelley Long is 70.
- Singer-actor Rick Springfield is 70.
- Actor Jay Mohr is 49.
- Actor Ray Park ("X-Men," "The Phantom Menace") is 45.
- Actor Scott Caan ("Hawaii Five-0") is 43.
- Singer Julian Casablancas of The Strokes is 41.
- Actress Joanna Froggatt ("Downton Abbey") is 39.
- Musician Sky Blu of LMFAO is 33.
- Actress Kimberly Matula ("The Bold and the Beautiful") is 31.
Get to know the Local 4 News Today team better
Local 4 News Today links
Copyright 2019 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.