Cobo Center gets new name | More rain on the way today ☔| Detroit Youth Choir on AGT 🌟
A beautiful look at Detroit from Windsor. Photo: Alex Fakhouri/Instagram
We're warming up a bit today! We'll be tracking more rain and storm chances through the morning and early afternoon. It's only a brief warm up as cooler air comes sliding in late Wednesday through the weekend.
Check the latest forecast at ClickOnDetroit.com/WeatherCenter.
A few things to watch out for today on major routes:
- SB I-75 from I-696 to M-102 (8 Mile Rd) right two lanes closed for construction through Sept. 5.
- NB/SB I-75 ramp to NB M-24 closed for construction through Thursday.
- EB I-94 (Edsel Ford Freeway) from Wyoming Ave to 2nd Ave right two lanes closed for construction through Thursday.
🚧 Check the live Traffic Map here.
Cobo Center unveils new name 🗞️
A big event is scheduled this morning to officially unveil the new name for Cobo Center. In February, the Detroit Regional Convention Facility Authority announced it has sold Cobo Center's naming rights to Detroit-based Chemical Bank in a 22-year deal that will generate $1.5 million annually. Cobo was named for Albert Cobo, a former Detroit mayor known for his racist policies.
We're so excited to see the Detroit Youth Choir tonight on the next round of "America's Got Talent" on NBC. The local choir group will need your votes tonight to get to the next round. Tune into "AGT" tonight at 8 p.m. on Local 4 and then VOTE here!
$20K up for grabs at local meat cutting competition 🥩
25 professional meat-cutters from around Indiana, Michigan and Ohio will compete on the ice at Fraser Hockeyland in the first round of the Qualifier Meat Cutting Challenge. Each participant receives 25-30 pounds of beef, consisting of one sirloin, one filet and one ribeye to cut. The winner will advance to the next round where a $20,000 grand prize is up for grabs.
Sign of fall: Starbucks unleashes Pumpkin Spice Lattes 🎃
Starbucks fans across the U.S. can scoop up fall favorites making their return to the menu, including the famous Pumpkin Spice Latte (PSL), which is celebrating its 16th year.
🗓️ Here's what's on the calendar:
- Aug. 29 -- Michigan State Fair begins 🎡
- Aug. 29 -- Romeo Peach Festival begins 🍑
- Aug. 30 -- Michigan State football opener vs. Tulsa 🏈
- Aug. 30 -- Arts, Beats and Eats weekend 🖼️ 🎶 🍔
- Aug. 31 -- Detroit Jazz Festival kicks off 🎷
- Aug. 31 -- Hamtramck Labor Day Festival begins
- Aug. 31 -- Michigan football opener vs. Middle Tenn. State 🏈
- Sept. 2 -- 🇺🇸 Labor Day
- Sept. 2 -- 62nd Annual Mackinac Bridge Walk
- Sept. 7 -- Dally in the Alley in Midtown 🍻
- Sept. 8 -- Detroit Lions open season in Arizona 🏈
- Sept. 13 -- Red Wings training camp in Traverse City 🏒
- Sept. 28 -- Founders Detroit: Outer Limits Party 🍺
Check the Live Guide calendar for more local events, and post your own.
Drinking with Dogs at The Old Miami 🐕 🍺
Love dogs? Dig Detroit? Canine to Five is hosting its monthly Drinking with Dogs on Tuesday at The Old Miami in Midtown. Bring your leash-friendly pup, grab a cocktail, and support a local dog rescue!
Hear ye, hear ye! We are now offering $5 off tickets to the Renaissance Festival! This year's festival runs weekends and Labor Day, Aug. 17 to Sept. 29. The fun all happens at 12600 Dixie Hwy, Holly, MI 48442.
Adventure awaits! Purchase your discounted tickets here!
📷 Today's Featured Photo: A beautiful look at Detroit from Windsor. Photo: Alex Fakhouri/Instagram 🌇
Submit your photo:
Send us a News Tip here.
Copyright 2019 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.