Morning Show Insider: Evrod's First Cedar Point Trip
Evrod Cassimy: Okay, so call me crazy, but I just went to Cedar Point for the first time. Last Monday my family and I made the quick drive down to Sandusky. Let me tell you, even though you probably already know, it was AWESOME. We got there around 11am and stayed till about 6pm. My oldest son is now tall enough to ride most of the rides. What I found interesting is that at 34 years old, I’m not as much of a daredevil as I used to be. Our younger son could only ride the kiddy rides, so I found myself accompanying him on those rides as opposed to the big major roller coasters. Here’s why…First of all, I’m afraid of heights. That’s a pretty normal fear right? And by “afraid” I mean, I get this sick feeling in my stomach and I prefer to be on the ground. Planes, hot air balloons, helicopters all make me a bit uneasy. My wife and I took turns though with our oldest son riding rides with her versus our youngest. Nonetheless, I had an incredible time! It was an incredibly hot day, the lines were short because from what I understand school had just started (last week Monday). The park has great food and the scenery from up high was breathtaking! No one told me Cedar Point was surrounded by water! I can’t believe that was my first time. I plan to make it a twice a year thing from now on!
We took a mini break during our day trip to charge our phones again and to relax our feet. We got in nearly 14,000 steps that day. Afterwards, we had dinner at this cool little restaurant in downtown Sandusky called Barra. Great Mexican food. Before you knew it we were back in Detroit and back to work. Thanks for beginning your week with us today! It’s back to school for some kiddos this week and next week. We are testing out cool little back to school products all week so make sure you stick with us! Thanks for watching as usual! See you tomorrow!
Here's what's coming up Tuesday, August 27th 2019 on Local 4 News Today.
All Morning -- ☔ Another Round of Rain
There's another round of rain and thundershowers moving in and through our area Tuesday morning which will impact bus stops, and the morning drive tomorrow. We will see rain and thundershowers then coming and going from 8am to 1pm tomorrow before a gradual clearing of the skies into the mid and later afternoon hours. Highs will push into the low 80s, winds SW 10-20 mph gusting to 30 mph, and the humidity will make it feel even warmer, but it will take some time to get to these more summer-like conditions. It's only a brief warm up as cooler air comes sliding in late Wednesday through the weekend.
- Get the full forecast here
Kim DeGiulio will also be tracking traffic conditions.
- Check traffic conditions in your neighborhood here
5:40 a.m. -- 🎒 Back-to-School: Backpack Safety
Textbooks, notebooks, pens, pencils, folders and more. A student is required to carry a lot of items in their backpack, and carrying all that weight can actually hurt them. Tuesday, we'll talk to the experts about the best way to keep your student pain-free.
6:40 a.m. -- 📚 Back-to-School: Product Test
All week, we're testing out products that claim to make the school year easier. Tuesday, our Kim DeGiulio tries out a product that is supposed to let your kids show off their style all while protecting their books. But, does it really work? We'll be the judge of that!
6:45 a.m. -- 🚚 🍴 Tasty Tuesday: Food Truck Month
For the month of August, we've been featuring some great local food trucks for Tasty Tuesday. This week, we're going Italian with a twist! We'll take you inside the truck that's serving up Italian-inspired wraps.
- Tasty Tuesday: Mobile seafood at the Lobster Food Truck
- Tasty Tuesday: Comfort Cafe Food Truck
- Tasty Tuesday: Mean Weenie food truck
- SUBMIT for Tasty Tuesday feature here
- Emotional farewell: last of 'Beaumont Five' heads home
- Kiwanis Shorewood Club in St. Clair Shores dedicated to helping children
- Vote in round 2: Who did Detroit Lions fans despise the most?
- Rory McIlroy wins PGA Tour Championship and pockets $15m prize
- Check out Treerunner Adventure Park in West Bloomfield
🐕 Today's Trivia Retake
Every morning at 6 a.m., we ask you a trivia question on Local 4 for a chance to win a prize.
- Monday Question: When did Lassie debut on the air?
- Answer: 1954
- Be sure to watch daily at 6 a.m. and click this link to enter for a chance to win.
📅 National Days: August 27th
- National Pots De Creme Day
- National Just Because Day
📜 History Highlights: August 27th
- In 1892, fire seriously damaged New York’s original Metropolitan Opera House.
- In 1962, the United States launched the Mariner 2 space probe, which flew past Venus in December 1962.
- In 1964, the Walt Disney movie musical fantasy “Mary Poppins,” starring Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke, premiered at Grauman’s Chinese Theater in Hollywood.
- In 1989, the first U.S. commercial satellite rocket was launched from Cape Canaveral, Florida _ a Delta booster carrying a British communications satellite, the Marcopolo 1.
🎁 Celebrity Birthdays: August 27th
Celebrating a birthday Monday? Submit a Sunshine Award here and we could say your name on Local 4 News Today during our 5 a.m. show.
Here's who you're sharing a birthday with --
- Actress Tuesday Weld is 76.
- Actor G.W. Bailey (“M.A.S.H.,” ″The Closer”) is 75.
- Actress Marianne Sagebrecht is 74.
- Actor Paul Reubens (Pee-Wee Herman) is 67.
- Actor Peter Stormare (“Fargo,” ″The Big Lebowski”) is 66.
- Actress Diana Scarwid is 64.
- Gospel singer Yolanda Adams is 58.
- Country singer Colt Ford is 50.
- Actress Chandra Wilson (“Grey’s Anatomy”) is 50.
- Actress Sarah Chalke (“Scrubs,” second Becky on “Roseanne”) is 43.
- Rapper Mase is 42.
- Actress Demetria McKinney (“House of Payne”) is 41.
- Actor Aaron Paul (“Breaking Bad,” ″Big Love”) is 40.
- Actor Shaun Weiss (“The Mighty Ducks”) is 40.
- Actor Patrick J. Adams (“Suits”) is 38.
- Actress Karla Mosley (“The Bold and the Beautiful”) is 38.
- Singer Mario is 33.
- Actress Alexa PenaVega (“Spy Kids”) is 31.
- Actor Ellar Coltrane (“Boyhood”) is 25.
- Actress Savannah Paige Rae (“Parenthood”) is 16.
Get to know the Local 4 News Today team better
Local 4 News Today links
Copyright 2019 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.