Morning Show Insider: 🏫 Back-to-School Time
Nick Monacelli: It’s back to school-time…for me too! My 7-year-old daughter goes back to school today, and she has what I think is the right attitude about it. I asked her last night if she was excited. She said, “Well, I’m excited to see my teacher and my friends, but that means my summer is over, so I’m not happy about that.”
That’s exactly how I feel! Happy it’s back to school-time, but sad summer is over. It got such a late start, so I feel like we only had 2, maybe 2.5 months of hot, want to jump in a pool kind of weather.
But, the clock stops for no one --- so embrace it I guess?
I am excited for next week though, which kicks off the Fall 2019 semester at Oakland University. This semester I’ll be teaching a live TV class for the University, my first-time teaching since I left Grand Valley State about 10 years ago.
I think I know a thing or two about making live television! Wait --- photographer Josh, what’s this button for again?
See you in the morning!
Here's what's coming up Wednesday, August 28th 2019 on Local 4 News Today.
All Morning -- ⛅ Dry Air Returns
Dry air will move in Tuesday night and into your Wednesday as we see morning lows dip back down into the 50s and low 60s under partly sunny skies to start your Hump Day. A nice blend of sun and clouds Wednesday and gusty winds WSW 10-20 mph gusting 20-30 mph all day and very little concern for wet weather.
We will see lake enhanced clouds moving through, but nothing more than a spotty drip or two from that Wednesday afternoon. Highs should stay in the mid to upper 70s and other than the wind, it will feel like a great day Wednesday.
- Get the full forecast here
Kim DeGiulio will also be tracking traffic conditions.
- Check traffic conditions in your neighborhood here
All Morning -- 🎤 #VoteDYC4AGT
The whole country will experience the spirit of Detroit Tuesday night -- and we're excited.
The Detroit Youth Choir is performing on the live quarter-finals of "America's Got Talent." Be sure to watch Local 4 at 8 p.m. then vote! We'll also recap the performance and have reaction in the morning.
All Morning -- 📚 Rhonda's Brag Book
Do you know a young person who is really making a difference in our community? A standout student, volunteer, star athlete - or all around incredible person?
Submit their information on ClickOnDetroit and they could land in Rhonda Walker's brag book! As Rhonda mentioned, she'll show off two incredible students Wednesday.
6:40 a.m. -- 🛏️ Back-to-School Product Test: Weighted Blanket
All week, we're testing out products that claim to make the school year easier. Wednesday, Dr. Frank McGeorge tries out a weighted blanked. They're a hot item for adults, but could one help your child sleep better, too? We'll have what you need to know before you buy one.
- Tasty Tuesday: Impasto Food Truck
- 3 possible human cases of deadly mosquito virus EEE being investigated in Michigan
- Michigan woman left in agony due to metal grill brush bristle -- do you need to worry about this?
- Concerned citizens fill Marysville City Hall to speak on former candidate's racial comments
🎙️ Today's Trivia Retake
Every morning at 6 a.m., we ask you a trivia question on Local 4 for a chance to win a prize.
- Tuesday Question: Where did Terry Crews go to college?
- Answer: Western Michigan University
- Be sure to watch daily at 6 a.m. and click this link to enter for a chance to win.
📅 National Days: August 28th
- National Power Rangers Day
- National Bow Tie Day
- National Cherry Turnovers Day
- Rainbow Bridge Remembrance Day
📜 History Highlights: August 28th
- In 1916, Italy declared war on Germany during World War I.
- In 1972, Mark Spitz of the United States won the first two of his seven gold medals at the Munich Olympics, finishing first in the 200-meter butterfly and anchoring the 400-meter freestyle relay. The Soviet women gymnasts won the team all-around.
- In 1996, Democrats nominated President Bill Clinton for a second term at their national convention in Chicago.
- In 1996, The troubled 15-year marriage of Britain’s Prince Charles and Princess Diana officially ended with the issuing of a divorce decree.
- In 2005, New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin ordered everyone in the city to evacuate after Hurricane Katrina grew to a monster storm.
🎁 Celebrity Birthdays: August 28th
Celebrating a birthday Wednesday? Submit a Sunshine Award here and we could say your name on Local 4 News Today during our 5 a.m. show.
Here's who you're sharing a birthday with --
- Actor Sonny Shroyer (”The Dukes of Hazzard”) is 84.
- Actress Marla Adams (”The Young and the Restless”) is 81.
- Actor David Soul is 76.
- Actress Barbara Bach is 73.
- Singer Wayne Osmond of The Osmonds is 68.
- Actor Daniel Stern is 62.
- Country singer Shania Twain is 54.
- Actor-singer Jack Black of Tenacious D is 50.
- Actor Jason Priestley (”Beverly Hills, 90210”) is 50.
- Actor Daniel Goddard (”The Young and the Restless”) is 48.
- Country singer Leann Rimes is 37.
- Reality TV personality Honey Boo Boo (Alana Thompson) (”Here Comes Honey Boo Boo”) is 14.
Get to know the Local 4 News Today team better
Local 4 News Today links
Copyright 2019 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.