4 things to watch for -- Monday, September 2nd
From Brandon Roux: We hope you are enjoying your Holiday Weekend and the last day before the kids go back to school (if they haven't already). I have a funny story to share about my kindergarten class photo experience back in 1977 at Seth Payne Elementary School in Lake Zurich, Illinois. Back then, there were obviously no digital cameras and Polaroid film wasn't used for class pictures. So, the photographer had no idea how the class shot looked until the film came into focus in their darkroom. So, right before the photographer snapped the picture, a fellow student named Brian Wall tried to convince me to join him in cross-eyed for the class photo. If you know me now, I was the same back then, and I was ALL IN! From what I remember, either the photographer took one picture, or I crossed my eyes multiple times… but I did it!!!
When the big moment arrived, and the class photo was ready for viewing, my mom wasn't so happy. I was excited! I looked at the bottom right-hand portion of the shot where I was sitting on the floor second from the right… I did it! My eyes were gently crossed and Brian Wall's eyes were…. NOT?!?!?!!???? Now, I am the only dopey kid in the picture with his eyes crossed and it wasn't even my idea. I shared the picture with my sister recently, and she said, ‘I can't even believe a couple of 5-year-olds could come up with such a plan.' I honestly don't know either sis.
Today your child's photographer will do their thing with a digital camera getting instant results of each and every picture. That's a good thing because when you put your trust in a 5-year-old and a once shot only photo opportunity, what are the odds it will go well? Anyway, enjoy sending your little ones back to school, and enjoy getting some of your time back! Here's what we have coming up this week on Local 4 News Today: A Tasty Tuesday that's for the birds, or the dogs. It's a 4 Your Pets themed editions and I can't wait to take a bite!
Here's what's coming up on Monday, September 2, 2019 on Local 4 News Today
All Morning -- Labor Day Forecast
We warm up for Labor Day and Tuesday, then a strong cold front knocks our temps right back down.
All Morning -- Labor Day Travel
Millions are expected to be heading back from the long weekend. We'll help you navigate all the construction across the state.
All Morning -- Arts, Beats & Eats
Oakland County's biggest party is happening this weekend. We will be live in Royal Oak all morning previewing the art, the music and the food.
All Morning -- Tracking Dorian
Over the weekend, the hurricane strengthened to a category 4 and then a category 5. Find out what's being done in Michigan to bring some much-needed relief.
- Detroiter who went blind after getting shot at lounge shares story, asks shooter to come forward
- State troopers investigating deadly Inkster shooting
- Massive fire on Detroit's east side burns down house
Today's Trivia Retake
Every weekday morning at 6 a.m., we ask you a trivia question on Local 4 for a chance to win a prize.
- Friday Question: I n 1983, Guion S. Bluford, Jr. became the first black American astronaut to travel in space. What space shuttle did he travel in?
- Answer: The Challenger
- Be sure to watch daily at 6 a.m. and click this link to enter for a chance to win.
National Days: September 2nd
History Highlights: September 2nd
- In 1192 Sultan Saladin and King Richard the Lionheart of England sign treaty over Jerusalem, at end of the Third Crusade
- In 1792 September Massacres of the French Revolution: In Paris rampaging mobs slaughter 3 Roman Catholic bishops, more than two hundred priests, and prisoners believed to be royalist sympathizers.
- In 1864 Union General William T. Sherman captures and burns Atlanta during Savannah Campaign (US Civil War)
- In 1944 Holocaust diarist Anne Frank sent to Auschwitz concentration camp
Celebrity Birthdays: September 2nd
Celebrating a birthday Monday? Submit a Sunshine Award here and we could say your name on Local 4 News Today during our 6 a.m. show.
Here's who you're sharing a birthday with --
- Actor Keanu Reeves is 54
- Comedian Katt WIlliams is 47
- NFL Hall of Famer Terry Bradshaw is 70
Get to know the Local 4 News Today team better
Local 4 News Today links
Copyright 2019 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.