Morning Show Insider: Not a Little Kid Anymore
From Evrod Cassimy: It’s kind of hard to believe it, but my oldest son just turned seven today. Yes, I know, they have a birthday every year, “get over it” but this year was different. Different because I realized he is not a little kid anymore. He’s smart, friendly, kind, loving and knows right from wrong. He’s able to help around the house, take care of his little brother, show how much he appreciates mom and dad. It hit a little harder this year that he’s growing up. He’s not as dependent on my wife and me anymore. I knew that moment would eventually come and now that it’s here it’s kind of a weird feeling. The good part is we can step back a bit and know that we raised a good kid and that certainly is a great feeling. We celebrated his birthday all weekend long. Friday, we went out to dinner with one of his best friends downtown Detroit (Calexico on Woodward). Then, he’s obsessed with those electric scooters, so we rode those up and down Woodward with him. Then, he and his best friend had a sleepover. Saturday, I was out of town, but my wife took him and our youngest out to lunch where they sang him happy birthday in front of the whole restaurant. The smile on his face was worth the embarrassment! LOL! And then Sunday, his actual birthday, I flew back in to town. He woke up to streamers covering his bedroom door and all around the house and balloons in the shape of the number seven on our front door. The kicker was his birthday gift was charging in the living room. Remember the electric scooters we rode down Woodward Avenue? He had been asking for one of his own for quite some time. There it was, his own electric scooter. His jaw hit the floor and he said “I’m speechless!” That was the reaction we wanted. I posted a bunch of photos on my Instagram page here
Now it’s back to work and back on the air on this Labor Day. A sign fall surely is here, three trees in my neighborhood have enough leaves on the ground in front of them you can easy form a nice pile for the kids to jump in. I put the heat on in the house last night and in the car this morning. I’m excited for the new season and am ready for a change in the atmosphere.
Thanks for watching this morning! Hopefully we got your week off to the right start!
See ya in the morning!
Here's what's coming up on Tuesday, September 3, 2019 on Local 4 News Today
All Morning -- 🌞 🚌 Back-to-School Weather & Traffic
The warmest day of the week will be Tuesday with both temps and humidity on the way up. A morning start around SE Lower Michigan in the upper 50s to low 60s and then highs will head into the low or even mid 80s with breezy conditions SSW 10-20 mph. With the heat and humidity, skies will fill with cumulus clouds in the afternoon mixing with hazy sunshine, and the wet weather will hold off until after the kids get home from school. Rain and thunderstorms will begin to fire just after dinner time Tuesday and last for several hours around Metro Detroit.
- Get the full forecast here
Kim DeGiulio will also be tracking the trouble spots around town as well.
- Check traffic conditions in your neighborhood here
All Morning -- 🌩️ Tracking Dorian
As Hurricane Dorian moves closer to the United States, the Local 4Casters will be tracking it. We'll also have the latest video and information from the areas dealing with the impact.
- WATCH: Live coverage of Hurricane Dorian from Miami
- Michigan Humane Society takes in pets from path of Hurricane Dorian
6:40 -- ⏰ Time-Saver Product Tests
All week, we're testing out products aimed at saving you time. Are you always losing your keys, wallet or something else? There's a little Bluetooth device that promises to help you track down lost items quickly. But is it a bust? Our Rhonda Walker will test it out.
6:45 -- 🐕 Tasty Tuesday: All 4 Pets Edition
For years, we've featured great places across Metro Detroit that are serving up delicious food for people. Now, we're doing a Tasty Tuesday FIRST! We'll feature a local place that's baking and making up food exclusively for your pets!
- Middle school student tests Lenovo smart alarm clock
- Weighted blanket put to test for kids; do they sleep better?
- TSA bans Star Wars Coke bottles from Disney
- Justin Verlander tosses 3rd career no-hitter
🏧 Today's Trivia Retake
Every weekday morning at 6 a.m., we ask you a trivia question on Local 4 for a chance to win a prize.
- Monday Question: Monday was the 50th anniversary of the ATM. Where was the first ATM in the United States located?
- Answer: Rockville Centre, New York
- Be sure to watch daily at 6 a.m. and click this link to enter for a chance to win.
📅 National Days: September 3rd
- National Welsh Rarebit Day
- U.S. Bowling League Day
- National Another Look Unlimited Day
📜 History Highlights: September 3rd
- In 1783, representatives of the United States and Britain signed the Treaty of Paris, which officially ended the Revolutionary War.
- In 1951, the television soap opera “Search for Tomorrow” made its debut.
- In 1970, legendary football coach Vince Lombardi, 57, died in Washington, D.C.
- In 1976, America’s Viking 2 lander touched down on Mars to take the first close-up, color photographs of the red planet’s surface.
- In 1978, Pope John Paul I was installed as the 264th pontiff of the Roman Catholic Church.
- In 1995, the online auction site eBay was founded in San Jose, California, by Pierre Omidyar under the name “AuctionWeb.”
🎂 Celebrity Birthdays: September 3rd
Celebrating a birthday Tuesday? Submit a Sunshine Award here and we could say your name on Local 4 News Today during our 6 a.m. show.
Here's who you're sharing a birthday with --
- Singer-guitarist Al Jardine of The Beach Boys is 77.
- Actress Valerie Perrine is 76.
- Actor Steve Schirripa (“The Sopranos”) is 62.
- Actor Charlie Sheen is 54.
- Musician Redfoo of LMFAO is 44.
- Actor Joel Johnstone (“The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel”) is 41.
Get to know the Local 4 News Today team better
Local 4 News Today links
Copyright 2019 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.